Mystery Hardstone Artifact?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A section of field that hadn’t been plowed in about 10 years at my favorite native site had been plowed this past weekend so I played hookey from work and did the deed. I need a little more rain to really make it productive but I did find several rough quartz pieces including one nice little quartz point. The find of the day for me is the hardstone piece which looks to have been manufactured but I have no idea what it is or what it could have been used for…if anything.

If anyone has an opinion or idea on the nature of this piece I would greatly appreciate hearing it. Pics from all angles:

artifacts015.jpg

artifacts027.jpg

artifacts026.jpg

artifacts028.jpg

artifacts029.jpg

artifacts023.jpg

artifacts022.jpg

Upvote 0

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
petrified bar of soap? Haha looks neat I would guess some sort of grinding tool. Thanks for sharing!

Johnathan Griswold

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
I dont believe there's a mystery to it. I'm pretty sure it's just a rock. It looks to be naturally formed in that manner.

Hippy

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think so Hippy...it's not clear in the pictures but there is some very definite grind wear on the lower corners of each bias. I'm pretty sure that it has been worked. Some others have possibly identified it as a grinding stone or mano...I know little of this type of artifact so I'm doing my research in that direction.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I can see from the picture a lot of lengtways abrasions. I'm not at home now that I have several. myself and others in my area refer to them as sanding blocks.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
could have been used for a number of things like hide stretching etc some pcs we can only guess the use but not everything that doesn't have a classification doesn't mean it wasn't implicated. Sometimes pictures don't show use, and everyone likes to tell people they have only rocks and some are pretty sure of themselves.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could have been used for a number of things like hide stretching etc some pcs we can only guess the use but not everything that doesn't have a classification doesn't mean it wasn't implicated. Sometimes pictures don't show use, and everyone likes to tell people they have only rocks and some are pretty sure of themselves.

I'm sure that comment was meant for me and I'm really sure that is just a natural rock formation. Sorry romeo, but I just don't see anything in your pictures that would lead me to believe otherwise.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
steve i didn't direct that towards you at all it was just in general

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe there is a cobblestone road way going through there at 1 time

taggedyou

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like to put items like that into the area it was found, hunting camp, lodge, field mound, no other stone of that type. I try to put it all into the context of what I found. Some of mine would just be rocks if it was not for where and what other items where found with it. Makes since to me.
John

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses everyone...I work at a university and will take it to the geology department for another opinion...I'll post when I hear.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definateley pre clovis

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from the geology department and the opinion of the professor is that it is not naturally shaped. Without giving him any background information he said it appeared to be ground for an unknown use but most certainly ground. He measured the "top" and "bottom" flats and they are almost exactly the same width and lenght. We took it to the anthropology department but the professors there were not in. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can track one down...stay tuned!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camp rock. Found in camp, looks to be slightly used, may have seen some use and possibly brought there for an unknown purpose. Most camps are full of camp rock. When excavating for artifacts I would stack up the best examples of cobble choppers, crude pestils and such. It gave the weekend surface hunter something to take home. You are happy with it and willing to do some research and that is what counts.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got back from the geology department and the opinion of the professor is that it is not naturally shaped. Without giving him any background information he said it appeared to be ground for an unknown use but most certainly ground. He measured the "top" and "bottom" flats and they are almost exactly the same width and lenght. We took it to the anthropology department but the professors there were not in. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can track one down...stay tuned!

cool

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
u need to take it to a arch proffeser, but i would say just natural. sorry to break it to u. the reason i say this is my wife is a geologist and knows nothing about artifact, lol. if it was used for grinding it would be pretty smooth and from pics it looks like its pitted and a little ruff. if it was in a field its possible they used it but id say no just a natural rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread