Restoring Arrowheads?

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
That is something to think about. Arrowheads are religious artifacts. Hmmmm!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem with restoring them is someone down the road will try to sell them as authentic..

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Not trying to get into a moral debate about authentic, restored, etc. Pretty capable of making up my own mind if I wish to restore something........ and well I wish to restore something but I want to do it myself. Just looking for info on how to do the restoring.

Anyone?

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry swamp....i don't know much about restoring artifacts but i do know that others provide the service maybe you could email one of these places and they could steer you in the direction you need. Are you planning to reknapp parts of it or cast it or however the services do?

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
It's all good! I have never wanted to restore a point until I found my first Dalton base the other day. Now I want to see the point whole for some odd reason and I wish to do it myself.
I doubt I will reknapp since it's only half of a point. Not sure what process they use but will try talking to some of the restoring services. I was hoping someone here knew something about it.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with sohio on this 1 but I'm pretty sure it's done with resin. a gentleman that I know by the name of jim tatum runs a company called paleoenterprises . he's from my neck of the woods here in florida. he and his son carlos do some real good work. I'm sure he could give you some pointers.

PrimitiveOne

Mar 30, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Never tried this-I would just knap a new one... But here is an idea- Most points are pretty symetrical. Push the point into some type of clay that has been flattened on both sides, so it is to the center line depth. (centerline being halfway between the front and back) remove the head and flip it from front (F) to back (B)and push it back into the same piece of clay and remove. This half should look complete. Fill it with epoxy or resin and use a plastic putty knife to scrape of the excess level with the clay. Now repeat the process with the head starting on side B and flipping to side F. Once the two are dried used a super thin amount of the same resin or epoxy and glue the two pieces together. Again, I never tried it but you would have a good idea of what the head may of looked like and no one in their right mind would mistake it for a true artifact.. well lets hope so. Also you could paint it!!!!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's almost exactly how its done. most of the color is added by using colored glass micro beads in the resin. you can stir with a toothpick to get the look of veins and natural stone appearance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread