larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i also ran across these pearls which come from inside the head of a freshwater drum (sheephead)
one fish has two of these (right and left side)
the images are one left and two right
the mandans used these as some sort of ornament or something
the dark one looks like it might have been in a fire or something IMG_2170.jpg

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are loads of them that come out of middens here in florida for a while I didn't know what they were turns out there like an ear bone. they're connected to the fish's lateral line and pick up vibrations in the water. most fish have them. scientists use them to age fish. cut in half you can see rings of growth like a tree.

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Very interesting Steve, my grandfather liked to fish a lot yrs. ago and used to catch a lot of drum fish. He had a cigar box with a bunch of those in it.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thank you for what you guys have told me
this fish is not real plentiful around here like a walleye, salmon, trout , or pike
it is the only one in the dakotas that has these pearls in their auditory system
i found these in a field by the site
i had no idea that these are prolific in other areas
this type we have here are usually 2-3 lbs and are known for two things.........they put up a hell of a fight.........and are not good to eat

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Steve drum fish are fairly common around here they range 3-5 pounds. I can only remember eating drum one time, it wasn't very good and had many very small bones. My grandfather used to catch them just to get them out of the creeks and ponds around here to get rid of them. They will quickly eat up all your good fish bass,crappie and catfish if they are not controlled. Those drum pearls are interesting it's been a long time since I have seen those.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
They turn up quite often on Monongahela/Fort Ancient sites About 900AD to 1600 AD. I have never seen one worked into anything, as to their taste, I guess it depends on how hungry you are.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
we find them here in Florida in the saltwater catfish heads. Whenever there is a red tide and and all those fish wash up I always score a good amount of those and I didtrade them off to a friend who made a necklace with them

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of them in western Oklahoma, too. We considered drum a trash fish. We don't find those 'pearls' in archaeological sites because the fish probably wasn't present in the plains village farmer area. It could also be that like the historic plains tribes, these people had an aversion to fish and didn't use them for anything. Kiowas and Comanches never fished. Maybe due to not many fishing holes. Lot of stories about water and river monsters though.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
yup they do taste like $hit.....but the pearls are worth saving my friend