Frustration!!

Bignbadun

Greenie
May 13, 2012
Pitt County, NC
Detector(s) used
I have a Scheiber MIMID, which is a surplus military mine detecting unit.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have some areas here in Eastern NC where I find lots of pottery and lots of flakes of quartz and other rocks that are out in the middle of the fields I walk, but I'm not finding many points. As far as I know, I am the only one hunting these areas, and I know there ws a major Tuscorara camp in the area. The flakes and broken bits I am finding are always in the area with the pottery, but are not material that is common at all to the area. Any ideas or am I just being impatient, lol.This is the kind of stuff I find.

2012-05-25 20.33.26.jpg 2012-06-10_16-39-53_51.jpg 2012-06-19_20-12-44_226.jpg 2012-06-19_20-19-33_245.jpg

Also, any ideas on the white almost china looking pieces? I have seen a lot of it in one of the areas I hunt, even some with a blue trim painted on it. This area is a decent distance from the closest house, so I dont think it's trash from there. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for some reason the only photo that is coming up on my screen is the white quartz looking stones. you also mentioned porcelain I think. blue painted rims. especially if the rim it has a scalloped edge. is pretty common for the mid 18 hundred's. was there a pioneer settlement nearby? or maybe a railroad. if you're finding a lot of pottery just be patient. check out the lay of the land. look to see where high ground is associated with the nearest water source.

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bignbadun, I think the pottery is Disposed Trash of settlers...The trash pits were far from the house...at least here.."Back of the property". Look for obvious "flaking" along edges of stones/rocks...as would be intentionality worked. Google all Stone Tools and see what is real and what is not. Not sure where you're from or what depth of field you are in but try to decipher and will help you place the age of your finds.

Happy Hunting and don't discard your questionable items as you may find they are "something" as you learn more.

MinerGirl

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell from your photo's, but your material does not look promising. If I were you I would check out another area. Find an area near a stream that would be somewhat sheltered. A favored spot would be down wind from a body of water, to keep the mosquitoes away. Camps usually were not far from a water source. Keep looking and good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread