GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the best finds that I have and it started off as just another day at the creek. Yesterday, I went with my wife and daughter along with my sister and her husband to cool off from this 100+ degree heat we are having here in Southwest Georgia. Shortly after we got in the water, which was less than knee deep, my sister pointed out two flint tools she spotted laying on the creek bed. These finds told me that there was likely points in the area so I started looking as well. I began running my fingers through the sand and finding pottery shards. After I worked that area with little luck, I decided to move down stream and try another spot. I had to pull some limbs out of the way to get a new area cleaned. Thats when this pipe came up. I did not find any points but thats o.k. with this taking thier place! This will likely be the center piece in my collection for quite some time. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed!! I've also posted this find on "Todays Finds as well.

Attachments

• Clay pipe.jpg
    Clay pipe.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 650
  • Indian Pipe - Lee C. 001.jpg
    Indian Pipe - Lee C. 001.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 615
  • Indian Pipe - Lee C. 004.jpg
    Indian Pipe - Lee C. 004.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,067
  • Indian Pipe - Lee C. 005.jpg
    Indian Pipe - Lee C. 005.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,580
Upvote 2

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pipes were used in some form of ritual or another from welcoming a new person to bringing peace among nations. This was an is still very sacred to Native Americans. A ritual passed on through centuries. All of these acts were performed in a certain manner. Although slight variations exist they still did basically the same ritual.

The Vulture teaches purification to the Native People. I think the meaning of this pipe and this is only my opinion, is that maybe the Indian was troubled and the pipe which is a vulture clutching a skull could be seen as the Vulture is pulling the impurity from the Indian and the Skull represents the Indians troubled spirit. The smoke is then exhaled releasing the part of the Indian to the Creator. Or it could have been a right of passage of becoming a pure warrior.........Just a thought.....................................GTP

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
I took the liberty of forwarding your pictures and story to one of the most knowledgeable archaeologist on this subject matter in the southeast. Here is what he said:

Hi Mike,

A real find! I think it could be authentic. I have seen one other as elaborate that was found south of Augusta, in Georgia, and a number of equally exotic pipes when I was at the Smithsonian several years ago.

PM me and I'll give you contact information if your interested. He doesn't give values only years of experience and knowledge.
Michael

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
............ Jackson and Davis only suit there own purposes and I would never recommend them after sending them personal finds to have them kill them because they were above par artifacts!!! If you notice Jackson has now taken to grading the artifact. When a authenticator deals artifacts it is almost certainly a case of bias...............I wish you luck on your search and keep the goodies coming we love seeing them!!!!..............................GTP(Chris)

This is the best advice ever given on this artifact site. I am surprised Jackson is still playing his shell game after the Bogle rip off.

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Nice find and it would be interesting to find out the age of it. Does anyone know by a rough guess if it's Woodland, Mississippian, or Historic?

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
killer pipe
looks good on the banner
pack it

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im glad you brought this back, gator, I wish there was some closure to this find. It was a very interesting find, just wish I knew how it ended...

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! The pipe is well & fine. It was photographed a few months ago and I was told that will appear in the next "Best of the best" book. I have no idea when the next book will come out. But will post it when it does.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever establish any age or origin of the piece?

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever establish any age or origin of the piece?

Most that are known to be creditable have said that it is from the Mississippian period and is associated with the Southern Death Cult. The material that it is made of, everyone so far who have seen in it hand, agrees is it local material.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super! Thanks..I've been dieing to find out.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like soap stone. I know most of the statues of that period was made from it here in Georgia.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
650275d1341233202-platform-pipe-southwest-georgia-indian-pipe-lee-c.-005.jpg

Amazing artifact, GaRebel.

Thank you for showing it and pursuing it's history. I'd love to see more natural light photos, if you'd care to treat us. Has it got the "weeping eye?"

Thanks to GatorBoy for reviving this thread.

pi-21.jpg
Moundbuilders-artifacts-pottery

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that it is very similar and thanks for posting that! My bird's eye is round with no weeping.

650274d1341233202t-platform-pipe-southwest-georgia-indian-pipe-lee-c.-004.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't get over that thing! I would have probably looked at it so much That it would have lost Some visual impact... I've done that with some of my things. Going out of town for a few days Then returning and seeing it there in your home brings back some of the newness... and reminds you how lucky you are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread