Help with type and date range of projectile point?

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my only noteworthy find while out detecting last month, and I didn't even need a detector, obviously. It was on top of the ground on a cleared hilltop. I was hunting for relics at a 19th century house site, but surely this is older than that.

viewfile.cfm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, I think I heard the same information, from a certain Ohio person, somewhere else. ;)

OP
OP
lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we're at it, how 'bout this tiny point I found in McIntosh County, GA, about two years ago?

viewfile.cfm

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
"bird point" can be kind of missleading... perhaps "true arrowhead". The second picture is of a typical triangular arrowhead, named differently depending on where you live but all were made between roughly 500 - 1700 AD. This type of arrowhead would have been used (and this is why I don't like the term bird point) to hunt anything one might hunt with a bow today, deer, turkey, etc. I believe the first point might also be a true arrowhead but I'm not sure, it may be to thick to be an arrowhead, it could be a atl-atl or "dart point". If it's thin and well balanced then I would say arrowhead made within the same confines as the other one but if it's a little thicker or not quite as balanced it could be an atl-atl point. If this is the case the point could be upwards of five thousand years old but it would take somebody familiar with lithic typologies in your area to tell you for sure. Then again that point in the first picture could be a small knife that has been resharpened a time or two but I don't think that's the case. If I had to make an educated guess (keep in mind this type of point isn't found around by me and I'm unfamiliar with it) I would say Late Archaic Atl-Atl point circa 1,000 BC.

OP
OP
lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. The first point does seem a bit thick and poorly balanced to have been launched on the end of an arrow, so an atlatl seems possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread