now russy scores a couple way cool pieces (one of them by old diggers lucky spot)

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
saw twitko and russy at the village last night and they did good
russy could hardly talk for a while
check out the game pieces he found back to back
the bone piece came from over by old diggers honey hole Image 1.jpg Image 1.jpg Image 2.jpg Image 2.jpg Image 3.jpg Image.jpg the buffalo rib piece is my favorite...they are rare...............just gotta love these pieces from the dakotas

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Here comes the 'stupid question of the day' - I'm sure you've answered this before, and I'm not questioning your assessment, I'm just trying to learn a little bit more everyday - why do you think they're game pieces? Obviously they're incised bone, but to say they were used in games is a pretty specific definition of use. I'm sure you have good reason for calling them game pieces - thanks in advance for sharing.

Joe

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Steve you guys are killin it in that field!!! Every week I see something from you guys that literally blows me away for bone artifacts. The points i've seen before but those incised bone pieces are freaking awesome!!!!!!...........................Chris(Gtp)

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks joe
the ND historical dept calls them game pieces
i have read a few books calling them game or gambling pieces
what do you think they are.....they don't look like tools...??
i cannot say for sure...maybe someone else knows more... i am just trying to share these cool pieces with you....

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I'd guess you're right as game pieces. As you say I don't really see a utilitarian use for them. If they're ornamental, I don't see anything supporting attachment to clothes, wood or other media. I think the only reasonable way to tell is for you to send me a half dozen or so good examples and I'll do some 'research' on them. You find great stuff, I enjoy seeing all that you post. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes ya wonder if they possibly had more meaning. Like for a medicine man. Many cultures use to roll the bones to fore tell something or for medicinal. Just a thought.......................Chris(GTP)

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still rubbing it it. You need to try looking a little up-hill from this area?

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
joe-one of the games they played with some of these pieces was a bit like shuffleboard....
......it was played on the ice in the winter.....i used to know the name of the game, if i can find it i will post it

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the link, i have those small round game dice shown in the book

very good book

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
here are a few images that may be of interest to joe and IMG_1066.jpg IMG_1070.jpg chris they are called "gambling pieces"

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 122

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
nice artifact....how do you guys do it ? share a site like that....hats off to you...im too competitive to be able to share a site like that and too i don't play well with others (obviously) I wish i were a nice person sometimes, but that feeling usually only lasts a matter of seconds and then subsides. good goin fellas.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
That's exactly what they are. The black and white photos are exact matches of the artifacts you're finding. Thanks to everyone for the help and the research.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread