another one lost to progress

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
This was one of my favorite fields and most consistant producer of artifacts for over 50 years. Unknown to me it was sold a few weeks ago to someone who is not a local resident. He promptly proceeded to clear the field of it's trees as well as it artifacts with a dozer and track hoe. I called the previous owner and he told me he had sold it and the new owner had planned to build a house and a large shop to run his business out of which is a blacktopping business. I called the new owner and asked it I could walk the field to look for arrowheads and he said yes. So I headed up to check it out. It was pretty sad to see nothing left there but very clean ground. The dozer had taken off about a foot or more of the top soil. As you can tell in the pictures there was not much other than dirt left. I was lucky enough to find a few broken pieces and one very nice graver. Even the small flakes of flint were gone.

another lost.jpg another lost2.jpg another lost4.jpg last ones found.jpg graver.jpg graver2.jpg

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sad to see.... any chance on finding out where the dirt was taken?

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get out there as soon as it rains, you'll be able to find more.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might just find your oldest stuff yet.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That may be quite an opportunity .. could bring water and sifter

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate that for you.I find more and more spots are being lost every year. Makes you sick. They have cracked down bad in my area and are arresting people for just picking up broken pottery sherds on a river. It is almost not worth it anymore. Maybe you can find where they dumped the top soil.
Good luck Huntress.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions