Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That material is beautiful. :happy1: Are you still able to mine it?

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
not the spot that I got about 15 tons from, it was a construction site and I got permission from the super there but they shut the place down right after they paved road in. I was still able to go out but once it was grown up with weeds and all the dope heads would come in at night and strip the copper wires from all the lamp post and burn the insulation off in the cul de sacs so they fenced it in. I have gotten coral from there in almost 2 years so I have been sitting on my hoard of coral until I can find another spot. I have 2 in mind and am getting ready to ask permission. My river spots still produce but we have been above the flood mark for a few months now. I still get about 2-3 emails or phones calls every week or 2 from knappers and the slabbers who want to buy some, Every now and then I will go out back to the rock shop and run the saw just to do it,lol I havent cabbed anything in a year and a half.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
I always figured this was a core stone....awfully big and unwieldy for a chopper of some sort but does have a good shape. It looks the world like an over-sized hafted scraper that I have seen a number of times from the desert.

totaly apologize for hijacking the thread.................:tongue3:

theonlinefisherman

Aug 10, 2012
West Central Florida
Detector(s) used
I am a digger of stone, bone, coral, and shell.
I have a piece from Weedon island (across the street from the parking lot, actually lol) that is made of fossilized coral. It was obviously a piece of material a long-ago knapper loved. It is one of the most stunning things I have ever found. It is so thin I am afraid to touch it, and am amazed it's survived for the thousands of years it has existed. I am a knapper and work coral as much as I can. We hunt it more than we do points. Places we know it exists were almost all Paleo sites with rare exception.

And that is a preform. I do the same thing. There are times you start with a thirty pound stone and bring home one big rough blade. And they sure did do the same thing. If you learn to knap, you would be astonished at the feel of the stone. You really can tell how a stone will work. You see flaws and cracks and fissures and what we call "concrete". And you find fossils and it takes a perfect stone to make a perfect blades and we all have those perfect blades.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions