core stone
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: core stone

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Oct 2011
    4,921
    3268 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

    Question core stone

    I always figured this was a core stone....awfully big and unwieldy for a chopper of some sort but does have a good shape. It looks the world like an over-sized hafted scraper that I have seen a number of times from the desert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01661.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	672661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01662.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	672662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01663.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	672663  

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    17,192
    8438 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quarry blank. They preformed them and tested the material and if they liked took them home. Took them seconds to reduce it to carry. They could read a stone just by reducing it.
    Nice find.

  3. #3

    Jul 2012
    4,227
    1598 times
    Doesn't look like a blank to me. Looks like a blade, and a big one at that! Nice find
    Their were so many fewer questions when stars were still just the holes to heaven

  4. #4
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    17,192
    8438 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by NC field hunter View Post
    Doesn't look like a blank to me. Looks like a blade, and a big one at that! Nice find

    If that was the case than any large rock with and edge would be a blade. Does not look like a blade (to me). Who can say as it was obviously chunked and never reduced any further.. But it has been worked.

  5. #5

    Jul 2012
    4,227
    1598 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnmountains

    If that was the case than any large rock with and edge would be a blade. Does not look like a blade (to me). Who can say as it was obviously chunked and never reduced any further.. But it has been worked.
    To my understanding, a blank had no sides that could cut puncture on and on . I may be wrong, but looks like that could cut.
    Their were so many fewer questions when stars were still just the holes to heaven

  6. #6
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    17,192
    8438 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Sometimes a blank is just a material reduced down to see if it is worth working. It can have natural edges which may be sharp. I Hunt a site that every stone was worked but very few ended up as anything. They even put edges on limestone. A unifaced blade that has secondary flaking on the edge would be a blade. Just because they worked it does not always mean it is something. It may have been on its way to becoming a blade we will never know. I do know they could knock off a few flakes off a boulder sized stone and tell the stone was not worth the effort sometimes This does not make it a tool. They could tell by hardness/ softness step fractures inclusions . They did this almost every day of their life and could turn out a crude tool pretty quick and a nice high grave knife in 30 minutes.
    Good celts and polished items were labors of love and took a lot of time. Some materials from across the country work faster than others also. If material was abundant they would just start over if material was scarce you see them reshapening the tool to exhaustion. They did not drop and loose good stuff very often. Just like you do not loose your money. Most stuff I find was sub standard but still nice to me. Of course grave goods get washed out and dispersed and sometimes you find that killer item. Just my opinion I have hunted sites for almost 40 years and found my first stuff when I was around 6.
    I like different opinions cause it makes us think and i learn a lot from the members here. I hunt with some archeologist but a lot of members here are much more knowledgable cause they are self taught and enjoy what they learn and research. I know my area well and focus just on it but some tools and forms are universal.
    Last edited by Tnmountains; Sep 10, 2012 at 02:35 AM.
    larson1951 and natchitoches like this.

  7. #7
    natchitoches
    great post tnmountains
    i could not had said it any better.
    i am not good with words. and sometimes it hard to tell other what you know.
    i did not do well in school. i am one of them self taught persons.
    i have been hunting artifacts for 45 years ,started at age 11.
    i am 56 now. the last 35 years i did it as a liveing,(have not worked a job in 35 years)
    i sold most of my good stuff. i had too.
    i sold coins on ebay too. and even sold bones i found to this art guy i know.
    thats how i got to do what i wanted to.and got to learn so much.
    last 14 years i done work in the lapidary feild. makeing cabochons, and other Polish Rocks
    Last edited by natchitoches; Sep 10, 2012 at 04:11 AM.
    larson1951 likes this.

  8. #8

    May 2012
    14,695
    5831 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Just wanted to add... if the material is decent almost every flake knocked off leaves a sharp edge.

  9. #9
    us
    Oct 2008
    Central Great Plains
    642
    502 times
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    I always figured this was a core stone....awfully big and unwieldy for a chopper
    of some sort but does have a good shape. It looks the world like an over-sized
    hafted scraper that I have seen a number of times from the desert.

    I agree unclemac, I would refer to it as a bifacial core or quarry blank as TnMountains
    took the time to explain.

    11KBP

  10. #10

    Jul 2012
    4,227
    1598 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnmountains
    Sometimes a blank is just a material reduced down to see if it is worth working. It can have natural edges which may be sharp. I Hunt a site that every stone was worked but very few ended up as anything. They even put edges on limestone. A unifaced blade that has secondary flaking on the edge would be a blade. Just because they worked it does not always mean it is something. It may have been on its way to becoming a blade we will never know. I do know they could knock off a few flakes off a boulder sized stone and tell the stone was not worth the effort sometimes This does not make it a tool. They could tell by hardness/ softness step fractures inclusions . They did this almost every day of their life and could turn out a crude tool pretty quick and a nice high grave knife in 30 minutes.
    Good celts and polished items were labors of love and took a lot of time. Some materials from across the country work faster than others also. If material was abundant they would just start over if material was scarce you see them reshapening the tool to exhaustion. They did not drop and loose good stuff very often. Just like you do not loose your money. Most stuff I find was sub standard but still nice to me. Of course grave goods get washed out and dispersed and sometimes you find that killer item. Just my opinion I have hunted sites for almost 40 years and found my first stuff when I was around 6.
    I like different opinions cause it makes us think and i learn a lot from the members here. I hunt with some archeologist but a lot of members here are much more knowledgable cause they are self taught and enjoy what they learn and research. I know my area well and focus just on it but some tools and forms are universal.
    Thanks for the insight! I too know an archy. They can be pretty bizarre to hunt with. He brings the works when he hunts, spade, paint brushes, you name it. He will spend 30 min. Dusting off an item, and just up and walk away. Not say one word. Better not ask why he walked, or your in for a 2 hour lecture. I think he has caused me bad habits .
    Their were so many fewer questions when stars were still just the holes to heaven

  11. #11

    Jul 2012
    4,227
    1598 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-985474483.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	445.4 KB 
ID:	673755



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3291724796.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	505.2 KB 
ID:	673759

    This is what I've thought to be a blank. Big flakes taken and no working edge. Too me it makes sense for a blank to have no sharp edged. They traveled with who knows how many of these things. Looks like it would reduce injury on the travel. But...... I'll take yalls word for it. I'm way out numbered, majority rule. Thanks again guys! Y'all keep giving me this knowledge, I'm go be learnt up reel gud!!Lol
    Their were so many fewer questions when stars were still just the holes to heaven

  12. #12
    us
    Feb 2008
    Florida
    591
    162 times
    blanks are not made naturally to be blanks, most are are produced from spall reduction, you are working a bigger piece of rock down to a more managable piece. Each one of those "ridges" or "waves" on the edge of his piece he is showing is made from reduction, it ia also setting up a platform for the next spall to some off. If this was a paleo spall, then it would be worked down raw, if not then it needs more reduction to be cooked through. That piece can be reduced down to a cracker thin preform that will be ready for secondary flaking. I am not a knapper but have been selling my coral for over 10 years to knappers and I do spall and cook and I can drive uniform plates off of a good head just by setting up my platforms on the host rock....

    This may sound silly to some out there but if you can find a knap-in in your area I would go, not to watch the FOG knappers and slabknappers but one who knows his business. You watch the guy for awhile and if he is true to his point types, not all are super thin, then you start to see a pattern in the flakes that come off of that particular point type and when you find them inthe field , right away you will know what stage flake it is etc.








    rock and natchitoches like this.

  13. #13

    Jul 2012
    4,227
    1598 times
    Quote Originally Posted by centfladigger
    blanks are not made naturally to be blanks, most are are produced from spall reduction, you are working a bigger piece of rock down to a more managable piece. Each one of those "ridges" or "waves" on the edge of his piece he is showing is made from reduction, it ia also setting up a platform for the next spall to some off. If this was a paleo spall, then it would be worked down raw, if not then it needs more reduction to be cooked through. That piece can be reduced down to a cracker thin preform that will be ready for secondary flaking. I am not a knapper but have been selling my coral for over 10 years to knappers and I do spall and cook and I can drive uniform plates off of a good head just by setting up my platforms on the host rock....

    This may sound silly to some out there but if you can find a knap-in in your area I would go, not to watch the FOG knappers and slabknappers but one who knows his business. You watch the guy for awhile and if he is true to his point types, not all are super thin, then you start to see a pattern in the flakes that come off of that particular point type and when you find them inthe field , right away you will know what stage flake it is etc.
    This may make me sound super dumb, but I'm used to it, so here it is!! Is that coral live, or just why is he watering it? I know nothing about coral.
    Their were so many fewer questions when stars were still just the holes to heaven

  14. #14
    natchitoches
    you wet it to make the color pop, to show its ture colors like it would look if it was cab. and Polish.
    or flake into a point.

  15. #15

    May 2012
    14,695
    5831 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Its fossil coral. ( agatized) in most cases. Miocene erra it makes in my opinion the most beautiful points. Heat treating brings out super color also. This point is coral. One of my faves

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20120910_193443.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	647.8 KB 
ID:	673866
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1230111638.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	673853  

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. How hard core are you? : )
    By Catobra in forum Dumpster Diving
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Nov 22, 2014, 01:36 AM
  2. Sweet core
    By Neogeo in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb 03, 2012, 07:13 AM
  3. Core Tools.................
    By Keokukjeff in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 06, 2010, 03:54 PM
  4. core banks
    By transplant in forum Shipwrecks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 11, 2008, 06:40 PM
  5. Core Drill
    By cptbil in forum Geophysics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan 19, 2005, 01:49 PM

Search tags for this page

agatized+coral+biface+found+in florida
,
artifact core photo
,
core stones indian artifacts
,
core tools north america limestone
,
flake core artifact
,

indian core stone

,
native american core stone
,
quarry blank artifacts
,
stone preform
,
what is core stone
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0