This is carved into top of a stone normally under water any ideas ?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: This is carved into top of a stone normally under water any ideas ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2012
    Southwest mississippi
    12 times

This is carved into top of a stone normally under water any ideas ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3859414605.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	777.7 KB 
ID:	675588

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-711717645.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	755.9 KB 
ID:	675589
    GaRebel1861 and Citiboy289 like this.

natchitoches
    someone carved that

us
    Jul 2012
    Central Ohio
    23 times
    Native American Artifacts
    Hard to make out in the pics, is that a 44? with letters underneath, are they english? Reminds me of the Viking Runes.

us
    Jul 2012
    Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro
    812 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Where was this located?

It looks like one of two things.

1. A boundary marker for property from the early 1800s.
    2. Spanish trail sign. 14 leagues
    The bottom right symbol (upside down horseshoe shape with arrow) This is atypical direction to a cave. If there is a dot in the U it is a cache site as well. It will be in the direction the double line at the bottom of the four. In 14 leagues you will find another sign pointing you in the direction of the arrow on the U. My eyes can't make out the other symbols but would be most curious to see a closeup of the circular shape at the top of the stone. The shape under the number 1 looks like an old elemental symbol. I would have to check in my old books to be sure. It is probably a precious stone mine. There is no indication of gold or silver on these symbols.

Exciting find!

Patrick

us
    Sep 2012
    Southwest mississippi
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleisters
    Hard to make out in the pics, is that a 44? with letters underneath, are they english? Reminds me of the Viking Runes.
    It is not numbers nor English . Maybe some sort of symbol. This stone is normally couple feet under water in a freshwater lake

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    5538 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That is a very interesting find for sure!

us
    Aug 2012
    North Georgia
    Various depends on the need at the moment
    442 times
    In My Opinion======= Could be Native American Trail marker ---- We see markings like that quite frequently in North Georgia , where the Trail of Tears was active , It is some sort of marker , but the underwater confuses me , Is the stone big enough to have stayed put ? or could it have been moved underwater ? My reasoning would be if it could have been tossed in the lake , that would mean the location has already been found and the marker disposed of ---- Has the lake bed changed ? markings like that are usualy found here near streams or near some other natural landmark , I think its a line with a pointer through it indicating a direction ---- I cant make out the bottom markings --- But a fun find ------ You might want to google - native american trail markers--- GOOD LUCK GREAT FIND EITHER WAY

Jul 2012
    1618 times
    It looks like either the number 14 or possibly 44. I don't think natives would have used our numbers until post Columbus .
    Their were so many fewer questions when stars were still just the holes to heaven

May 2012
    6062 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    That's pretty darn cool! That lake probably wasn't always the same levels it is now. I would definitely look into the history of the area. Could the stone have been moved? It looks way too intentional and labor intensive to be just a doodle.

us
    Sep 2012
    Southwest mississippi
    12 times
    Stone is too big to be moved the river that was dammed up to make the lake runs right beside the ridge this stone is on . The lake was drained intentionally to repair a leaking valve uncovering this stone

May 2012
    6062 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Ahhh..so before the dam that was dry.

us
    Sep 2012
    Southwest mississippi
    12 times
    Yes . I think the lake was built in the late 20's

May 2012
    6062 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    This really interests me! I can help research if you like. Can you tell me the name of the town and any other history you think might be important?

Jul 2012
    1618 times
    Fellas, I could fill a very large book full of things that I DON'T know. With that being said, y'all don't think that this could be a surveyors short hand notes? Perhaps, a surveyor was in the field working on this soon to be lake, needed to quit for the day, had no pen or paper , but did have a tool for driving irons and a chisel . Instead of going for pen and paper, I would chisel something that I understood to kind of help me remember where to start the next work day. 14 could have been the answer to a formula that he didn't want to work out again. I don't know? But, I don't think it is old. Just me!! Still cool, I would have taken a photo also!
    Their were so many fewer questions when stars were still just the holes to heaven

May 2012
    6062 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    A surveyor that forgot his pen and paper? Ok

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links