This is carved into top of a stone normally under water any ideas ?

budsmith19

Sep 5, 2012
Southwest mississippi
image-3859414605.jpg

image-711717645.jpg

Upvote 0

Aleisters

Jul 8, 2012
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard to make out in the pics, is that a 44? with letters underneath, are they english? Reminds me of the Viking Runes.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where was this located?

It looks like one of two things.

1. A boundary marker for property from the early 1800s.
2. Spanish trail sign. 14 leagues
The bottom right symbol (upside down horseshoe shape with arrow) This is atypical direction to a cave. If there is a dot in the U it is a cache site as well. It will be in the direction the double line at the bottom of the four. In 14 leagues you will find another sign pointing you in the direction of the arrow on the U. My eyes can't make out the other symbols but would be most curious to see a closeup of the circular shape at the top of the stone. The shape under the number 1 looks like an old elemental symbol. I would have to check in my old books to be sure. It is probably a precious stone mine. There is no indication of gold or silver on these symbols.

Exciting find!

Patrick

OP
OP
budsmith19

budsmith19

Sep 5, 2012
Southwest mississippi
Aleisters said:
Hard to make out in the pics, is that a 44? with letters underneath, are they english? Reminds me of the Viking Runes.

It is not numbers nor English . Maybe some sort of symbol. This stone is normally couple feet under water in a freshwater lake

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In My Opinion======= Could be Native American Trail marker ---- We see markings like that quite frequently in North Georgia , where the Trail of Tears was active , It is some sort of marker , but the underwater confuses me , Is the stone big enough to have stayed put ? or could it have been moved underwater ? My reasoning would be if it could have been tossed in the lake , that would mean the location has already been found and the marker disposed of ---- Has the lake bed changed ? markings like that are usualy found here near streams or near some other natural landmark , I think its a line with a pointer through it indicating a direction ---- I cant make out the bottom markings --- But a fun find ------ You might want to google - native american trail markers--- GOOD LUCK GREAT FIND EITHER WAY

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
It looks like either the number 14 or possibly 44. I don't think natives would have used our numbers until post Columbus .

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty darn cool! That lake probably wasn't always the same levels it is now. I would definitely look into the history of the area. Could the stone have been moved? It looks way too intentional and labor intensive to be just a doodle.

OP
OP
budsmith19

budsmith19

Sep 5, 2012
Southwest mississippi
Stone is too big to be moved the river that was dammed up to make the lake runs right beside the ridge this stone is on . The lake was drained intentionally to repair a leaking valve uncovering this stone

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh..so before the dam that was dry.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This really interests me! I can help research if you like. Can you tell me the name of the town and any other history you think might be important?

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Fellas, I could fill a very large book full of things that I DON'T know. With that being said, y'all don't think that this could be a surveyors short hand notes? Perhaps, a surveyor was in the field working on this soon to be lake, needed to quit for the day, had no pen or paper , but did have a tool for driving irons and a chisel . Instead of going for pen and paper, I would chisel something that I understood to kind of help me remember where to start the next work day. 14 could have been the answer to a formula that he didn't want to work out again. I don't know? But, I don't think it is old. Just me!! Still cool, I would have taken a photo also!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A surveyor that forgot his pen and paper? Ok

OP
OP
budsmith19

budsmith19

Sep 5, 2012
Southwest mississippi
NC field hunter said:
Fellas, I could fill a very large book full of things that I DON'T know. With that being said, y'all don't think that this could be a surveyors short hand notes? Perhaps, a surveyor was in the field working on this soon to be lake, needed to quit for the day, had no pen or paper , but did have a tool for driving irons and a chisel . Instead of going for pen and paper, I would chisel something that I understood to kind of help me remember where to start the next work day. 14 could have been the answer to a formula that he didn't want to work out again. I don't know? But, I don't think it is old. Just me!! Still cool, I would have taken a photo also!

It may be nothing and I may not be old , I do not know but I do know it's not a 1 or a 4 there are no letters or numbers they are symbols the pic don't show exactly I guess . What looks like a 1 looks more like an arrow and what u see as a 4 is < that symbol with what looks like a H connecting on the bottom of it

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20120915_013229-enhanced.jpg I sent this rotated but it came back this way. I think I'm seeing initials with a heart with an arrow . Look at this inverted. Dl MM

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is mighty cool! I would be looking for the treasure myself. The heck with trying to decide if it is old. Nobody would carve that unless it was for a marker of some kind. Get your metal D out and hit the area around it before the lake fills back up. PM me if you somebody to help dig! We will split it 8-)

theonlinefisherman

Aug 10, 2012
West Central Florida
Detector(s) used
I am a digger of stone, bone, coral, and shell.
Oh boy, we can only speculate. The marker for a gem mine is a solid thought. If that lake was filled in the twenties, that thing was not thrown in any lake. And as far as it being notation from a surveyor, there is an awful lot of data in that message. Whatever it is there is a lot there. And the writing looks like Hebrew? Phonecian?

Talk about finds!!! I am writing an article about rechipping right now. I thought that signs of molecular feathering were mysterious. That thing is a mystery. I would definitely walk in the direction of that arrow. I would walk 14 paces and dig. I would walk fourteen sunrises and dig, I would walk fourteen full moons and dig. That thing predates feet and inches,

And why does the number four have two bars on the bottom? It is not a four. I think it is something else.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread