Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What did Native American smoke in their pipes ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2012
    North Central Ky.
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What did Native Americans smoke in their pipes ?

Hello,

What did Native Americans smoke in their pipes ?

Best, junk250
    Last edited by junk250; Sep 16, 2012 at 01:00 AM.

May 2012
    4528 times
    Mostly tobacco.. the Europeans learned it from them and brought back pipes that they modeled thiers after. I suppose paote as well in some cerinonies. Among other things depending on where they were.

us
    Jul 2012
    149 times
    I heard they smoked certain leaves for different purposes i.e. sumac leaves produced vivid dreams

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    1326 times
    Research and occasional field work
    I think they chewed peyote buds and mostly smoked tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    I think they chewed peyote buds and mostly smoked tobacco.
    i agree with you
    Native Pride -}}}}}------------------------>God Bless you Kelly -}}}}}----------------------> -}}}}}--------------------->
    May your steps be gentle and your eyes be sharp Your flipping stick true and the finds will mark Another season among your friends Preserving Mandan storys from the wind (TnMountains-author)

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    6338 times
    I can guess a few smoked some maui wowie at woodstock.

Actually if you google "indian tobacco" you get a few different answers. Lobelia inflata on the east coast and several others west coast. so it appears location had allot to do with it.

Must have been some wicked stuff considering all the spirits they saw & Big imaginations they had on being able to make rain & Dance away diseases, & broken bones.

I know the Colonial records here say it had a pretty disgusting taste, compared to
    what they were used to.
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Sep 16, 2012 at 09:16 AM.

Aug 2012
    1 times
    Same with all of them they did smoke.

um
    Jul 2004
    Broward Co.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    2676 times
    Tobacco was traditionally used for ceremonial, religious and medicinal purposes by Native American tribes. They smoked tobacco as well as other added ingredients. Sumac was one as mentioned above as well as Willow bark and other plant materials. Tobacco wasn't grown everywhere and it wasn't widely available to all tribes. So, 100% tobacco wasn't the norm. The tobacco back then was a much different animal compared to today also. You have to remember, the "traditional" tobacco back then wasn't processed with chemical additives like "commercial" tobacco is today. Try smoking a raw tobacco leaf right out of the barn after curing for a couple months and you'll know what i'm talking about.
    Get-the-point likes this.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    1326 times
    Research and occasional field work
    Cut it, hang it in the barn to dry, bale it, turn it a few times, carry it into the rolling room where fine cigars are rolled on the thighs of island women. This image helps a bunch when you're paying $50-$75 or so for some authentic cubans. Ah, the good old days.

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    4703 times
    The Truth
    kinnickinic,i'm not sure if i spelled it right.A mixture of herbs,certain types of tree bark,sumac leaves(not poison sumac).The tobacco smoked nowadays didnt come into play until a little later.There were tobacco plants though but it wasnt the same type,much more harsh. The better kind was brought to england by Sir Walter Ralegh and became the main export from the americas after 1600.It was worth its weight in silver.
    YOU KNOW MY STANCE,LIVE FREE OR DIE

ďA manís rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.Ē

natchitoches
    thay ate peyote
    read here
    Peyote religion
    and here
    http://www.peyote.org/
    Last edited by natchitoches; Sep 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    765 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    tobacco often -- at times it could alsoi be a blend of tabacco and various medical herbs * --or straight medical herbs . -- a lot depended on "why" it was being smoked and by whom and at what time and what was availble to them.

yes i meant ate peyote buttons, not chewed
    just like i did back in the early 70's down in texas
    south of san antonio and WOW!
    natchitoches likes this.
    Native Pride -}}}}}------------------------>God Bless you Kelly -}}}}}----------------------> -}}}}}--------------------->
    May your steps be gentle and your eyes be sharp Your flipping stick true and the finds will mark Another season among your friends Preserving Mandan storys from the wind (TnMountains-author)

us
    Oct 2011
    849 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    it seems there is not one answer. We were always told kinnickinnic too...here is an early description of it...

Term: kinnickinnic

Definition:
    the English phoneticization of an Ojibwe word usually translated as "tobacco," but in fact typically meaning a blend of tobacco with local bark or grasses. Sometimes written as "kinickinick".
    Henry Rowe Schoolcraft left this description of it in 1820: "...we here first noticed a creeping plant called kinni-kinick by the Indians, which is used as a substitute for tobacco. This plant appears to have escaped the notice of the indefatigable Pursh nor do I find any description of it in Michaux, or Eaton [19th-c. botanists]. It is a creeping evergreen with an ovate leaf, of a deep green colour, and velvet-like appearance, and is common to sandy soils. I suspect it to be a new variety of chimaphila. The Indians prepare it by drying the leaf over a moderate fire, and bruising it between the fingers so that it, in some degree, resembles cut tobacco. In this state it is smoked, and is very mild and pleasant. They, however, prefer mixing it with a portion of the common tobacco (nicotiana tobacum) or perhaps it is done with a view to economy. As the kinnikinick only flourishes on sandy grounds, it is not always to be procured, in which case they employ other substances, the most common of which is the bark scraped off the small red twigs of the acer spicatum, or maple bush. Certain species of willows are also resorted to."
    Red James cash likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors