Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
we got our hands on some real heirloom mandan indian "Bride Corn" seeds
planted them this spring and a few are starting to mature and show the colors
this is a nutricious corn used by the mandans and does well with organic fertilizer
it is used as decorative corn now days since the new generation sweet corn is so much better
these were planted with a fish or two buried with..the fish were freshwater drum (sheephead, which is the fish that pearls are found in the head by the 'ear ' area)....or
maybe largemouth and smallmouth buffalo fish....since none of the latter were very good eating since they had catfish, walleye, sauger, sturgeon etc for eating.
....and i might add they had plenty of food, (fish, meat, and garden produce)
this corn was planted with the fish and also squash was planted every few plants which covered the ground and helps choke the weeds...
...in addition a few beans were planted in each corn mound so the beans would climb the corn stalks.
the mandan beans were what we now still buy at the grocery store....Great Northern Beans, which is a prolific variety that came from the mandans
the seeds were reproduced by George Will who had seed a house in ND and also studied the mandan culture as did Ernst Steinbrueck
i realize this post is out of place but considering the time of year and the mandan culture i hope it is OK with everybody

this is it: IMG_1695.jpg IMG_1696.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hi mamabear we know they ground it into corn flour
we have found a set of mano and metate
also at this site are roasted cobs which are mostly broke
i mean lots of them so we know they roasted it and ate it thataway too
i think i will try some, then i can see what it was like but like i said i don't think it will be that great
i think it prob tastes more like field corn rather than sweet corn

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I see it in the grocery stores this time of year and have bought it as decoration, but I never knew the story. Thank you.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking fall corn Larson.:icon_thumleft:

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool I remember years ago they germinated some anasazi period corn and passed seeds around the country and if you recieved some you had to pass some seeds along,Havent heard anything about it since, it was a blue corn.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Sweetness Nice work Larson I like how you went about the native ways traditional manner plantings must have been fun growing .

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CORN! Please pass the butter, and the salt & pepper. :laughing7:, :thumbsup:. Interesting, that this corn has been preserved.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked at the tractor post again, & have to say you are amazing! you are right about not digging the land. I admire your respect for the ancient culture & appreciate all your posts. Thanks again for sharing.
how was the corn?

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
here are some pieces we picked up after a rain
to show more roasted ears
i am gonna try some of the fresh stuff and let you know what it is like IMG_1081.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy that is old school for sure the way you planted that with the fish and the pole or climbing beans. Very cool to replicate their methods. It is amazing when you study the history of corn. That stuff changed ways of life. Now go make a bowl of pop corn haha Stuff is purdy.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I tried to make my own fish emulsions once. It stunk up the neighborhood, and burnt up all of my tomatoes. That is a project I need to study more.

johnfile

Feb 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since you told me about the beans earlier this year, I think of Will and the Mandans everytime I have bean soup! :)

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Great northern was the bean I was trying to think of when we last spoke. That corn really fits the season.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread