Is this something? Natural rock formation?

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was with the other pieces of my collection when i found them in the basement. I really wish i knew where they all were found
unk1.jpg

unk2.jpg

unk3.jpg

unk4.jpg

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a spoke shave. Used to remove bark and burrs from wooden shafts.

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, ill see if i can learn more about them. Everyone has been so helpful with trying to further educate , it makes me appreciate these precious items!!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's nice to hear...thank you. Wait Til you find one you'll really be hooked.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to respectfully disagree with Gator. I don't see any polish or flaking in the groove that would lead me to believe it was used as a Spokeshave. Plus it's the wrong material. It looks like sandstone or something similar and every Spokeshave I have ever seen was made from Flint or Chert. I say it's just a natural stone.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to respectfully disagree with Gator. I don't see any polish or flaking in the groove that would lead me to believe it was used as a Spokeshave. Plus it's the wrong material. It looks like sandstone or something similar and every Spokeshave I have ever seen was made from Flint or Chert. I say it's just a natural stone.

Agree! You are on the right track in looking for shapes, but continue to look for the right materials and specimens that have been worked.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also agree after looking closer. I went on shape alone.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Pics make wear hard to see most of the time. It could be for sinew working. That will give you a starting line for research. Then you can decide for yourself. Not going against you guys, but small, not so well crafted tools are hard to say yah or nah on.

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!! I defiantly am learning what to look for as far as being worked now. I did learn that all of the pieces i have(except Haft scrapers) came from Brookings South Dakota. From what grandma remembers, It was 1947 the year that they married. The university hired him on there to help with the Hybrid tomato project they had going on, discovered in the fields.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great family story to go with them! Treasure them as I'm sure he did. Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions