Odd stone.

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
My friend gave this to me for my collection. I have no idea what it is or what it was used for. The stone is hard and smooth. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks! DD. MVC-811F.JPG MVC-812F.JPG MVC-813F.JPG

Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I'm by far no expert. With that out of the way, I find it hard to believe mother nature created this one. What state was it found in? I have never seen a pestle made like that nor a war club like that. However, I do see pits on the business end of it, which leads me to believe it was a tool of some sort. Possibly a net weight? I would not throw it out regardless of what you may hear on here or any other place for that matter. I'm pretty sure some of the more experienced guys and gals will tune in on it. I can't wait to read their opinions!! Pretty find, regardless of what it is!!

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm surprised with Harry's ID, but he knows his stuff. That is a unique rock. geofact or artifact it's a keeper.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I'm not trying to be mr. Smarty pants, but, why is a polished pestle an artifact? It shows no more tooling or wear than this piece. A Celt has a bit, why could nature not do that? Fellas, Larson, Harry, y'all know I respect the two of you,but I have to question you both here.

ladyliegh

Sep 17, 2012
SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if it's nature made, I could see it being used.
Tying leather or green vine to toss across a stream or up over a high tree branch.?
Would make a nifty double ended hammer too.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i say rock....i have one too.....similar not the same....

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Aleisters said:
Sure reminds me of Colonial Whig Curlers

Didn't one of the Flintstone women wear them?lol. On a serious note, I have seen on a web site a pic of a polished stone lizard effigy, that looked nothing like a lizard to me. Could it be an animal abstract type effigy. Jim Maus artifacts is where I saw the lizard. Check it out. If that is a lizard, this could defiantly be a beaver or something. The guy that had that site seems to be reputable also. Lots of good info on his site. The stone here is beautiful regardless. Not a thing wrong with keeping a cool rock. However, I don't think this is just a Rock. Take a lot of scientific proof to change my mind.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: Funny shape! I'm going to have to agree with Harry and Steve. It is just an anomalous water eroded rock, A good conversation piece.

Last edited:

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have seen them before very similar. It's a natural, made by nature, pretty evident , honest to goodness, God made creation. Listen to Harry oh unbelievers. He IS the man.

Last edited:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree rebel. You don't think it could be a small club? As you said, interesting!!

At three inches in length I don't think it would work too well as a club. I'm not 100% convinced that it is an artifact but it if is a natural formed stone, then its a weird one! I would have carried it home too.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
old digger said:
:laughing9: Funny shape! I'm going to have to agree with Harry and Steve. It is just an anomalous water eroded rock, A good conversation piece. Just tie a leather strap on it and tie it on to the back of truck. :laughing9:

That's funny! I have seen similar on the back of trucks!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GaRebel1861 said:
At three inches in length I don't think it would work too well as a club. I'm not 100% convinced that it is an artifact but it if is a natural formed stone, then its a weird one! I would have carried it home too.

I have a bow tie axe that is about 3 1/2 inches. They didn't always go for a kill, just a good knock out. I promise, that stone will knock a man out. Natural or artifact, don't matter there!!lol!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions