Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Platform/lap stone. Our lap stones here are cupped out for grinding. The nut stones have large holes or dimples. Usually something on each side as yours does. I have seen cobbles with a dent in them to be used as a 3rd hand. Maybe platform maybe drilling. The only ones I know for fact are the ones I dig in context with nut gathering in rock shelters. I have a yard full.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a nut stone of what appears to be the same material from Tennessee. Yours looks almost like it would have been used as a platform for knapping.

ForumRunner_20121019_064833.png

ForumRunner_20121019_064948.png

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
this one always gets me thinking....it is pecked only on one side and very smooth on the other. It is pretty heavy for its size and it rings like iron when it is struck. Lap stone or anvil? what do you think?

reminds me of a piece of hematite....a rock
we find them in all kinds of crazy shapes

Last edited:

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find unclemac...

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
how do you tell if it is hematite? I don't recolect that material being out where I am in any quantity.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reminds me of a piece of hematite....a rock
we find them in all kinds of crazy shapes

I have to agree with Larson. I find them here also and they are natural in shapes. If it was used you would see the cortex altered some and that one has all of its cortex still intact. But thanks for the look.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have found rocks that look a lot like that one- but a different lithic. Still- with dimples and indentations on one side and not on the other. If you haven't already, try looking at those impressions through the best magnifier you have- and see if they're impressions of little pre-historic critters. I thought it was really onto something until I looked really close. In my case, what I found were clearly once-living 'things' (for lack of a better word- I don't know the names of fossils or fossil impressions). Got to say, though- all the mortars and paint cups and nutting stones I've ever found were not smooth like that. They have the rough look of use and wear- not slick/wet/'oily'-looking. To me, it looks like sedimentary rock with impressions of long-dead wet-world creatures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread