rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry no pictures just a question. I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on buying and selling REAL native american artifacts. I dont like the reproductions and dont buy them because I feel they are destroying the true artifacts that are still around. I like mine old and dirty. I would also like to know the reasons either way. I have bought artifacts and see nothing wrong with it. There are just some out there that I cant find in my area for my collections. Thanks, rock

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
95% of my collection I found, but I have bought a few pieces to add to my collection from private collectors I know...

I have had the opportunity to pick up some museum quality pieces over the years and did so.

I also know a collector in Texas that digs pits along the streams and rivers and has a mechanical shaker the dirt goes on to sift... i have bought from him as well, all of his come with money back guarantee of authenticity..

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deleted.

Last edited:

IllinoisDug

Mar 12, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to buy artifacts who cares? Just have to be careful and accept that mistakes can/will be made. There are some excellent real artifacts for sale on ebay *gasp! - no not THAT site* and other places. Do what makes you happy and find what works for you!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will keep my responce short. A bought piece will never feel like one you found..it is also nearly impossible these days to know its real..pappered or not. Buy if you must..but I would suggest two things..1) buy from someone you know or at least know their background..2) keep the bought Items separate from your found items.

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I have nothing against buying and selling itself. Dishonest people, well, I hate. Hate is a strong word, and yes, I hate dishonest people. I understand old collectors die off and often their kids have no interest in the artifacts. At that point the collection is often sold in estate or auction sales. I could see myself buying a whole collection for the right price and most definitely from a collector that I knew or hunted with. It would never hold the sentimental value to me that it should have had to the collector's kids or family. As far as buying reproduction pieces, I don't think any one intentionally buys these things. Well, let me correct myself. I have seen websites that sell repro pieces. So, that one is over my head?? Arrowheads have been reproduced since the 1800's I know. I don't know when money became associated with stone work, but it seems likely money came in with repro pieces. Why would one reproduce a piece, if not for money? The only other reason would be to see how their stone working and hunting skills matched that of the native. The main thing that gets me about buying and selling is the fact that it exist. I can't get lucky and show off a rarity that I found ( not just me, anyone) without it being questioned. If I had money to buy nice rare pieces, believe me, my collection would be much nicer, why stop with one or two bought pieces?? Rock, this question is almost like asking about religion. No answer and lots of fights. The answer varies from person to person. If it feels right to you, who am I to say you are wrong?

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thought on buying is never buy a g-10/perfect artifact unless you trust the source. Most artifacts will have use/resharpening/defects. Unless they were found in a mound/grave way back when it was allowed. And if the price seems to good.....well. And of course nothing beats a personal find.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might sound silly to some but it seems to me every time an artifact is bought and sold for paper money it loses a bit of its soul...until it is not much more than the stone it was made of. It just doesn't sit well with me.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:
This might sound silly to some but it seems to me every time an artifact is bought and sold for paper money it loses a bit of its soul...until it is not much more than the stone it was made of. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Absolutely! Once that stone is traded to the point that it's context is unknown, it is worthless. GArebel and I were talking about that recently. Not silly at all.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry no pictures just a question. I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on buying and selling REAL native american artifacts. I dont like the reproductions and dont buy them because I feel they are destroying the true artifacts that are still around. I like mine old and dirty. I would also like to know the reasons either way. I have bought artifacts and see nothing wrong with it. There are just some out there that I cant find in my area for my collections. Thanks, rock

Isn't selling arrowheads illegal.......well it should be!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A perfect reason to travel. what better souvenir then an artifact.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:
A perfect reason to travel. what better souvenir then an artifact.

None! No better souvenir if given to the right person. By that I mean a person that will value where the artifact came from at least. Some people may be insulted by a "rock" for a souvenir. Depends on the person.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you check all the other sites out there you will see they do have pages for selling artifacts. If you buy a large collection how can you possibly keep them all for yourself? Why not share the wealth and not gouge your fellow members is my view on it. I actually bought a collection for one or two pieces for me. I dont need the rest. This is the reason for the question posted. If the prices are too cheap, why should I charge more?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread