Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
THE
REAL
STORY OF THANKSGIVING
by Susan Bates
Most of us associate the holiday with happy Pilgrims and Indians sitting down to a big feast. And that did happen - once.
The story began in 1614 when a band of English explorers sailed home to England with a ship full of Patuxet Indians bound for slavery. They left behind smallpox which virtually wiped out those who had escaped. By the time the Pilgrims arrived in Massachusetts Bay they found only one living Patuxet Indian, a man named Squanto who had survived slavery in England and knew their language. He taught them to grow corn and to fish, and negotiated a peace treaty between the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag Nation. At the end of their first year, the Pilgrims held a great feast honoring Squanto and the Wampanoags.
But as word spread in England about the paradise to be found in the new world, religious zealots called Puritans began arriving by the boat load. Finding no fences around the land, they considered it to be in the public domain. Joined by other British settlers, they seized land, capturing strong young Natives for slaves and killing the rest. But the Pequot Nation had not agreed to the peace treaty Squanto had negotiated and they fought back. The Pequot War was one of the bloodiest Indian wars ever fought.
In 1637 near present day Groton, Connecticut, over 700 men, women and children of the Pequot Tribe had gathered for their annual Green Corn Festival which is our Thanksgiving celebration. In the predawn hours the sleeping Indians were surrounded by English and Dutch mercenaries who ordered them to come outside. Those who came out were shot or clubbed to death while the terrified women and children who huddled inside the longhouse were burned alive. The next day the governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony declared "A Day Of Thanksgiving" because 700 unarmed men, women and children had been murdered.
Cheered by their "victory", the brave colonists and their Indian allies attacked village after village. Women and children over 14 were sold into slavery while the rest were murdered. Boats loaded with a many as 500 slaves regularly left the ports of New England. Bounties were paid for Indian scalps to encourage as many deaths as possible.
Following an especially successful raid against the Pequot in what is now Stamford, Connecticut, the churches announced a second day of "thanksgiving" to celebrate victory over the heathen savages. During the feasting, the hacked off heads of Natives were kicked through the streets like soccer balls. Even the friendly Wampanoag did not escape the madness. Their chief was beheaded, and his head impaled on a pole in Plymouth, Massachusetts -- where it remained on display for 24 years.
The killings became more and more frenzied, with days of thanksgiving feasts being held after each successful massacre. George Washington finally suggested that only one day of Thanksgiving per year be set aside instead of celebrating each and every massacre. Later Abraham Lincoln decreed Thanksgiving Day to be a legal national holiday during the Civil War -- on the same day he ordered troops to march against the starving Sioux in Minnesota.
This story doesn't have quite the same fuzzy feelings associated with it as the one where the Indians and Pilgrims are all sitting down together at the big feast. But we need to learn our true history so it won't ever be repeated. Next Thanksgiving, when you gather with your loved ones to Thank God for all your blessings, think about those people who only wanted to live their lives and raise their families. They, also took time out to say "thank you" to Creator for all their blessings.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good informative story.. but it went of course right in the beginning. A day of Thanksgiving Was observed in England For almost a century before that. Ironically It had more to do with fasting Then feasting. It was a day spent Almost entirely in church. It only became asssociated with harvest and feast that included "fowl" and venison that the Wampanoags brought with them at that one time event. The tradition of Thanksgiving goes back to biblical times.

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for the read SOHIO. I feel guilty now. I know that much of this is covered in " lies my teacher told me" can't remember to wrote that, but it clears history up. Most all of our holidays seem to be based on blood.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I'm not defending what Europeans did when they got here.. I would like to bring up the fact that the natives fought with and killed one another also. It's a sad story but it's not unique. Things like that have happened for thousands of years. Anytime 1 group Seizes control of the land another group is occupying.

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
It is very sad that so few American's know the truth about how many of the original people here were treated. I believe at least as many slaves came from the "West Indies" then from Africa.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the read SOHIO. I feel guilty now. I know that much of this is covered in " lies my teacher told me" can't remember to wrote that, but it clears history up. Most all of our holidays seem to be based on blood.

I have and read that book and in my opinion it is crap. JMO

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was born/raised on the Northshore of Boston and lived there most of my life.I was fed the lies in school and believed most of them until my nanna told me not to.She was friends w/native women and had me read the factual accounts described here so I'm sure they're true accounts now.White man always speaks w/forked tongue and stabs you in back.....

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
We're never taught how the US Government practiced and encouraged open genocide against many native tribes...we're pretty quick to point the finger at Hitler though.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GaRebel1861 said:
I have and read that book and in my opinion it is crap. JMO

Really? Why? While in collage, I had a professor that made us buy history book that the school book store had, and Lies my Teacher Told Me. He was liberal as anyone could be, but I liked him. He used Lies My Teacher Told Me to trash the state recommended text book. Do you feel it goes overboard or exaggerates the dirty " truth"? Just wandering if I was once again lied to by a teacher. Thanks GARebel!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read a good portion of that book and the word "spin" comes to mind.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:
I've read a good portion of that book and the word "spin" comes to mind.

I have thought about the word "spin" and can come up with nothing. Can you elaborate Gator?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC field hunter said:
I have thought about the word "spin" and can come up with nothing. Can you elaborate Gator?

Simply put.. it's the creative representation of the facts to steer public opinion in a certain direction. not much different than propaganda

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:
Simply put.. it's the creative representation of the facts to steer public opinion in a certain direction. not much different than propaganda

So, just as the state's suggested book, this one is fabricated, just in the opposite direction? Have I got you right? I can see that being the case. The author's " spin" on the facts.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I would like to find a book that tells the parts in our history that totally got skipped. That is the book to read. However, I do not think any one has written it as of now. I sat down to study pneumatics and controlling air flow. Look where I wound up! LOL! Dang ADD! LOL!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha.. honestly.. what do you expect from people who were used to concurring and siezing territory in battle who then sailed across an entire ocean with nothing but the wind and stars in search of new territory many dieing to do so...then come across a huge expance of land controlled by people armed with rocks..to do? Say sorry to bother you we'll go home now?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I come from a military family. Sometimes you just have to look at things realistically. I feel for the native population emencely. I also think the government and the top ranking military personnel of the day were a bunch of dirty scoundrels. Pretty much the same as now. I'm certainly not going to turn and wizz on my family tree like I hear others do. White folks using the term white man this and white man that is disgraceful..and would be in any race.

Last edited:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I come from a military family. Sometimes you just have to look at things realistically. I feel for the native population emencely. I also think the government and the top ranking military personnel of the day were a bunch of dirty scoundrels. Pretty much the same as now. I'm certainly not going to turn and wizz on my family tree like I hear others do. White folks using the term white man this and white man that is disgraceful..and would be in any race.

I agree 100%.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read part of a Surveyor's Journal from a man with an early surveying party in Ohio before it was settled. He said he was scouting ahead and spotted an adult male native and a boy of about 10 yrs getting a drink at a spring. He said he shot the child, ( with his single shot muzzle loader) and engaged the adult in hand to hand combat and killed him.

As I read this I felt terribly ashamed of how things were at that time, but I also am quite certain he was lying. I would bet my bottom dollar he shot the adult, and then rushed in and clubbed the child. It sounded much better the way he recorded it in his Journal. I believe even the simplest accounts of our history were,changed, embellished, censored etc.

The actual truth is an elusive thing.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread