Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robert Overstreet Typed this point as a snapped base point. It has been "hotly" (understatement) debated by hunters and collectors since being published. I am going to show 2 examples I found in almost the exact same area if not the same area that he hunted here in Tennessee. Most examples he shows are from Tennessee. One I am showing I dug from a rock shelter the other was from an open air site. In one of his books his description on this type is as follows.

9000 to 6000 bp. Location : Southeastern to Eastern States. Description: A medium to large size,usually serrated blade with long tangs and a base that has been snapped or fractured off. The shoulders are also fractured on some examples. This proves that the fracturing was intentional as in Decatur and other types.

I do not know if it is a true type or just a broken Kirk. The examples I have show the same patina at the break or snap as the rest of the point and seems that the break or snap was done during manufacture. The quality of the knapping is very skilled though the pictures may not show it.

So is it broke or snapped? If snapped why? Feel free to post any like examples and give your opinions on what they were doing 11,000 years ago. Be nice to see other like examples for comparison.
Thanks !!
100_4040.JPG

100_4042.JPG

100_4044.JPG
2nd knife/point
100_4045.JPG

100_4046.JPG

Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I defiantly see why it would be called a "snapped base" so, the implication is, these points are made like this? I have seen these before. I thought they were damaged. That isn't the case? Or is that the argument?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me That these are actually Hafted knife blades.. correct? So then we need to look at the fact that the stress on the base area would be different than that of a projectile. The fact that Overstreet describe many examples having shoulder damage leads me to believe that this is just damage from someone leaning downward with force to cut or even saw through tough material. Putting considerable pressure on that point until some actually break also damaging the shoulders on some of them most likely from the handle. I can see the guy falling forward into the carcass when it unexpectedly broke . Just my opinion.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen examples if these type of snapped base points in person also. I guess my thoughts on these is why couldnt there be 2 types? One with a stem and one without. I found a type like this one this yr. Everyone that looks at it says, quote that is nice but it looks like the stem is broken. Well when they look at the stem they see it is made this way. They said then well that is a Archaic Knife. So far there is no name for mine in a book. I dont believe it is a Kirk though. It still shows the base with the same type of design.

Attachments

• 100_2019.JPG
    100_2019.JPG
    340.8 KB · Views: 641
  • 100_2102.JPG
    100_2102.JPG
    324.8 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I defiantly see why it would be called a "snapped base" so, the implication is, these points are made like this? I have seen these before. I thought they were damaged. That isn't the case? Or is that the argument?

The argument has always been that they are broken at the base and not snapped on purpose. Overstreet says that they are snapped at the base on purpose. What would be the purpose in snapping off a base ?

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me That these are actually Hafted knife blades.. correct? So then we need to look at the fact that the stress on the base area would be different than that of a projectile. The fact that Overstreet describe many examples having shoulder damage leads me to believe that this is just damage from someone leaning downward with force to cut or even saw through tough material. Putting considerable pressure on that point until some actually break also damaging the shoulders on some of them most likely from the handle. I can see the guy falling forward into the carcass when it unexpectedly broke . Just my opinion.

Yes you are right they are knifes Gator. I think you are on it...... and maybe they were thinking this. Ok if we snap the base and leave it like that when we haft the knife a heavy base will be stronger than a thin base and less likely to break or slip back into the haft? lol. I am reaching.

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Tnmountains said:
The argument has always been that they are broken at the base and not snapped on purpose. Overstreet says that they are snapped at the base on purpose. What would be the purpose in snapping off a base ?

Not sure of the purpose? The "break" looks pretty clean and the patina is matched. I suppose if numbers of these have popped up through out the years with the same uniformed qualities, it's hard to deny their existence. I noticed on yours that the "ears" seem to be snapped off evenly with the base. It's out of my league. I can only go on what I see here.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains said:
Yes you are right they are knifes Gator. So what about this and maybe they were thinking this. Ok if we snap the base and leave it like that when we haft the knife a heavy base will be stronger than a thin base and less likely to break or slip back into the haft? lol. I am reaching.

That should be true... and blades were made for that purpose and in that way. It seems more probable that these could have easily been hafted in a slightly different way after the initial break. other than that the extra work in the base area would be senseless. the notches would not have been necessary.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overstreet states that the tangs and shoulders will be fractured as well. There is very strong argument against these being a "type". I hope that we can see other examples posted. Gator you have pictures of knifes hafted right? What was hafting like say 9000 years ago? Maybe more primitive .

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never gave this theory alot of thought. It just seemed like overthinking the obvious to me. I know you work with some archaeologists from time to time as well.. they have a tendency to do that. I.m.o. I would like to see more examples.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:
I never gave this theory alot of thought. It just seemed like overthinking the obvious to me. I know you work with some archaeologists from time to time as well.. they have a tendency to do that. I.m.o. I would like to see more examples.

What is your personal view Gator? Two types? I don't even have a personal view honestly.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'm just going to go With what seems more logical. I think it's just a damaged point. Otherwise I have several "snap base" archaic stemmed points........... and they're just broken.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archeologist tend to have to study to broad of a range of items sometimes. It is hard for them to find time in their lives for everything. That is why they come here as guest and see what hunters and collectors think and find. It is a two way "public" street. Give and take.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is the author Of one of the most widely used projectile point typology guide books in the United States.

chiefbigbs

Greenie
Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overstreet price guide books
1232 pages of pictures/set up by area

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread