Thoughts on these??

PA.Hunter

Dec 5, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm relatively new to this hobby and do not know much about the tools that the indians used in my area. I am very interested in learning so any input on these would be greatly appreciated. I have a deep respect for the indians and enjoy holding and looking at the things they created hundreds of years ago. Everything here was found near the susquehanna river in PA. Is the one on the bottom a hoe ? The little one in the middle looks like somethin they would crack skulls with or is it an axe? Thanks in advance everyone!

tools.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, PA.Hunter. Can't help you out because I'm new at this as well, but nice finds! I'll be checking back to see how you make out.
Nick

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
Pa. Hunter have you ever been to Indian Steps Museum along the river there in York Co. ? or to the Harrisburg Museum ? That would be two places to seek info on your area. Indian Artifact Magazine is a good source of info for Pa. also - it is published by Fogelman - Turbotville Pa. I think it comes out 4 times a year.

Last edited:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Axe on the bottom. The top piece looks like another....................Nice finds!!!.....................GTP

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree nice axe on the bottom and top I belive.. also being the same material the other could be a broken bulb end axe.

OP
OP
P

PA.Hunter

Dec 5, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pa. Hunter have you ever been to Indian Steps Museum along the river there in York Co. ? or to the Harrisburg Museum ? That would be two places to seek info on your area. Indian Artifact Magazine is a good source of info for Pa. also - it is published by Fogelman - Turbotville Pa. I think it comes out 4 times a year.

Yes I've been to Indian Steps Museum that place is amazing! I'll have to check out the Harrisburg Museum and Indian Artifact Magazine sounds like something I'll definately be subscribing to! Thanks for your sugestions.

OP
OP
P

PA.Hunter

Dec 5, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree nice axe on the bottom and top I belive.. also being the same material the other could be a broken bulb end axe.

Thats what I thought when I dug it out of the ground but somebody told me it was to thin to be an axe and thought it was a hoe. What were the bulb axes used for? Im assuming the long rectangle one isnt of importance? It seems to me that it has pecking on it but its hard for me to tell with a lot of the bigger tools. Not as easy as looking for flaking on an arrowhead or scraper or something.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all the way down in Florida but those look like axes to me. Its no coincidence that the middle looks like the back end of an axe and is made of the same material as the other two. In my opinion the fact that it was thin was likely the reason it broke. As far as I know there were several methods to making a ground stone axe through the ages.. eventually the groove was subtracted all together in some places. Just for comparison here is one like that I found last week. Celt is the Term given to this style.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121207_212040.png
    ForumRunner_20121207_212040.png
    412 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PA.Hunter

Dec 5, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow nice find! I have one like that but over half is broken off.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also.. the rectangular piece looks like it could have been used as a sharpening stone.

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
Also.. the rectangular piece looks like it could have been used as a sharpening stone.
Yeah i saw that rectangular piece too, we got be carefull on some of these- the early colonists used that style for sharpening sickle ahd sythes axes and were used right up to the 1950's.

OP
OP
P

PA.Hunter

Dec 5, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys very helpfull!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top one looks cool! I have never seen one in that shape before.

OP
OP
P

PA.Hunter

Dec 5, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top one looks cool! I have never seen one in that shape before.

I believe its unfinished. Some how that big chunk came out in one perfect break then im guessing they just tossed it when that happened? The other side is flat with a lot less work than the side pictured. Its a shame its broke but I still love the piece I found it last year when Hurricane Irene came through.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a hudge flake removed from the mother stone. I would like to see a closer pic of it if possible front and back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread