Weekend Explorations

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
I went to another "new-to-me" location this weekend, by boat. First day out I had just gotten into some areas that were producing when I got tangled up in some stumps in shallow water. My dept finder transducer broke from it's mount, day over after only 2 hours. On the way home I scouted some other areas to see if I could find another way to get out to these places with a different kind of boat - kayak.

Yesterday I took the kayak out for a few hours. The theme for both days was - FOOTPRINTS, everywhere! Despite that, I was able to find a few, learned some new places to hunt, how to hunt this place and that I will never be able to compete with folks who seem to hunt arrowheads for a living - my job gets in the way but that's not a bad thing!

Here's the total haul for the weekend, nicest pieces are the small Wills Cove, bottom row center, and the Stemmed Kirk to its left:

IMG_3702_a.jpg

Upvote 0

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I know the feeling of not competing because of my job, so I don't compete! ;) These finds would make my day, thanks for sharing them.

N

natchitoches

man you found a killer spot
and had a bad to the bone day
and the flint is so pretty
that would had been a good mo. for me

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If somebody is hunting these to sell as a living they are broke. But the ones that hunt for their collections usually want only the perfect ones. Some wont even pick them up unless they are perfect. I will pick them up just cause they have been altered by early man. I keep all artifacts for my collection. Looks like you had a great day.

OP
OP
D

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks all!

When I say "folks hunt them for a living" what I mean is that they just seem to have time to get out constantly. So either a job that is flexible and allows them to get out whenever they want, or unemployed people that having nothing else to do. I've run into both types of people. I don't think either set hunts them to resell. But I have run into some that do hunt to resell and not for good reasons, I believe the ones like this I've come across are selling points to fund bad habits which is really too bad for the hobby in general, doesn't do much for point hunter reputation.

I'm lucky these days if I can get out 1-2x per month!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go out as much as possible. Work,eat,hunt and sleep. Thats my idea of a good week. And sometimes the hunt comes before the eats. I really enjoy being able to get out and enjoy nature and quiet. I work in retail which is always noisy.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kayaks are great for hunting. Nice days work there. I also know exactly what you mean about the folks hunting to fund their "habbit" I have seen alot of that and it turns my stomache. Gainesville Florida was a sad site for me a few years back.

OP
OP
D

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
Kayaks are great, my bowrider has been great too, but I'm feeling the need for something between the two like a Jon boat of sorts for times where the bowrider is too big and too deep a draft and the kayak is too slow and takes more time to get around!

Yesterday I was outdone all afternoon by some guys in a Jon boat beating me to many stops. That said, I picked all this stuff up behind them and when I caught up to them they didn't have even as much to show as I did, not sure if that means I am a better looker or they have higher standards!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
If you hunt artifacts for a living - it's work. :)
Nice finds.

i agree ...you said it right

hey hey Mr Dlos
welcome to Tnet
looks like you have a good spot
you did good for the short time out and the breakdown

larson1951

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree ...you said it right

hey hey Mr Dlos
welcome to Tnet
looks like you have a good spot
you did good for the short time out and the breakdown

larson195OTE]

If you saw what I'm referring to I don't think either of you would feel the same about it. ... Not field walking for isolated finds.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
I have not really witnessed destructive hunters or hunting whereby they are foraging documented sites and leaving trash about. I have seen evidence of digging here and there thought. Mostly for me, I have run into "shady" people out hunting who've been a little territorial and aggressive over what they have deemed "their sites" and have expressed others should not be there. This doesn't happen often, but it's happened to me enough so that if I am going out alone, I will let someone know the general area I am headed to just in case something were to go wrong. Now, as I've said, I can be out on boats and that alone is good enough cause to file a "flight plan" with someone, but I also do this because I am often in remote areas where I have encountered hostile people (not landowners!).

Sad that a hobby that takes you outdoors where you should be experiencing nature in a peaceful way has this potential other side. I have read that people out in the midwest stumble upon meth labs in fields and have been threatened with their lives! Don't know anyone personally that this has happened to.

Thankfully most of my outings are without incident and I come home recharged (but tired) whether I've found anything or not.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally agree with that. Welcome aboard. And good luck.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always be safe. I hunt with a boat and Kayak. The economy has people doing many things. I see the same tracks same people and they sell everything they find on flea bay. They have nothing better to do than wear out sites. But on the bright side of things you had a good hunt with some nice finds. Watch their tracks and try to see what they miss. You can see their style by the way they hunt. Makes it even more rewarding. Transducers never last long. I tie mine up for the unnavigable areas.
Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
D

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
TN, I've never thought of tying my transducer up, great idea! I must be lucky, this is the first time I've had any trouble in 12 years! Luckily, the transducer isn't broken, just the bracket, easy enough fix once the parts arrive.

Most of the tracks I see are people who I think "run" the sties looking for the obvious stuff laying out. I have always done very well taking my time, a lesson learned the hard way when out with my hunting partner who always find more than me and still be looking when I was ready to move on! Everything in that picture was found on well hunted, or at least high traffic, sites. So even with foot prints everywhere, there's usually always something to pick up.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TN, I've never thought of tying my transducer up, great idea! I must be lucky, this is the first time I've had any trouble in 12 years! Luckily, the transducer isn't broken, just the bracket, easy enough fix once the parts arrive.

Most of the tracks I see are people who I think "run" the sties looking for the obvious stuff laying out. I have always done very well taking my time, a lesson learned the hard way when out with my hunting partner who always find more than me and still be looking when I was ready to move on! Everything in that picture was found on well hunted, or at least high traffic, sites. So even with foot prints everywhere, there's usually always something to pick up.

Used to no one would pick up pottery or brokes or even what we used to call the blunts or stunners (scrapers) or flakes with edge work. I think the brokes and such make good study pieces on rainy days like today. You found a few good whole pieces. That is a good day. I have a duck boat that will run in a few inches of water so anything sticking down is subject to being broke off. Trick is to hit the unnavigable sections. I am liking the kayak more and more in summer on small creeks where most do not venture and when it gets shallow pull the boat behind me. Good luck out there.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a very productive weekend in my opinion! Nicely done.
Nick

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Nice hunt. Pretty banded piece. I have recently seen the first footprints on my grounds. At the present, I'm not bothered by them. I still find my stuff and see no destruction. I'm a super slow hunter, especially on water sites. I spend most of my time squatting, sitting on my heels, scanning the land at as close to eye level as possible. Nice come out with your hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread