Not open for further replies.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are literally thousands of grinding rocks around these parts but I have only ever seen this one in Quartz
grindingrock.jpg

grindingrock2.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. It looks as if high water is pushing shell into them now. Nice scenery as well. Looks like an area to pan.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
,yes heart of the Motherlode,area mined HEAVILY

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes long ago when the water was higher and moving all that gold around rocks get trapped in cuppulets and spin grinding out holes and the indians appreciated the free mortars . Not saying that is what happened here though. But food for thought if there are many. If you ever look at the teeth of ancient man they were ground flat from all that grit in everything they pounded and processed with stone.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you speak of well,after dredging hundreds of them out.................these are most definitely not those. :thumbsup:.....after seeing thousands of them and collecting Indian artifacts for 40 years I know what a grinding rock looks like

S

stefen

Most of the grinding rocks I have found are in granite and most are on hillsides or ledges...

Found some near my cabin that were located on a bench, all within an old oak grove...

That's not saying that they are not in quartz...

However that rock looks like its full of intrusions and I'd bet that the holes are from water action...

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sold on the mortar theory here. This has slight indication of being used as that. I'm not seeing it. Why are those mortars(correct term for this stone) not rounded? A mortar style pestle would be round making the mortar round. Some pestles have flat bottoms for grinding on a mano style stone. Again every angle of these photo's do not show grinding. Some were Bell pestles..... the key here is any pestle made for the type mortar you are presenting here would be round or flat if used for a mano. The holes have no sign of being ground as all imperfections in the stone are still showing. A ground surface even after thousands of years will remain smooth........Just not seeing anything on this......I'll provide proof of actual pieces that litter Anasazi country. You will see the difference then.

http://www.eugenecarsey.com/camp/alabamahills/grindingstones.htm

http://www.eugenecarsey.com/camp/alabamahills/grindingstones/grindingholes03matrix01.jpg

These are pictures of california grinding stones AKA: as mortars and I want you to notice on most of these pictures they are round.

Hope this helps. Always remain open to learning.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat Kuger. I am not familiar with your area. Around here they were portable. It is good to learn and see new areas. I can see why that place would be inhabited for thousands of years. It gives me arrow head and gold fever all in one :notworthy:

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know,I now know the feeling when someone wants to share something cool and arm chair experts want to discredit you.I have seen thousands of Mortars(actually here they are call chamacka rocks)they are every where here as the main food source was acorns.There are very seldom a true round one as the pestles were often quite large and where actually used in a rotating motion making the hole oval.This is on my ranch so next time I am down the creek I will clean the water out and picture them just for you.I didnt just fall off the turnip truck folks....thanks for looking. Oh yea,there were no Anazazi here or metate's,and the holes that are naturally made are usually quite large,and not ever side by side

Check ut this place very near to here,tell me these are natural
Indian Grinding Rock State Historic Park - Pine Grove, CA

http://smokeysmountain.blogspot.com/2010/03/indian-grinding-rock-historic-state.html

http://www.dickestel.com/bluegrassfoothills04.htm

maybe explain to me how to make a "round",hole grinding like this???
[url]http://ctap295.ctaponline.org/~ccasner/culinary.htm

[/URL]

Last edited:
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat Kuger. I am not familiar with your area. Around here they were portable. It is good to learn and see new areas. I can see why that place would be inhabited for thousands of years. It gives me arrow head and gold fever all in one :notworthy:

very often they used "portable",ones here as well although they nevr took the "bowl"...or "mortar",if you will with them.They did take the pestle.They would over turn them so didnt collect water,freeze and break.They were left in historic Black oak groves that they returned to yearly.Most of those have been picked up(my family happens to have over 100......but occasionally one may still be found

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sold on the mortar theory here. This has slight indication of being used as that. I'm not seeing it. Why are those mortars(correct term for this stone) not rounded? A mortar style pestle would be round making the mortar round. Some pestles have flat bottoms for grinding on a mano style stone. Again every angle of these photo's do not show grinding. Some were Bell pestles..... the key here is any pestle made for the type mortar you are presenting here would be round or flat if used for a mano. The holes have no sign of being ground as all imperfections in the stone are still showing. A ground surface even after thousands of years will remain smooth........Just not seeing anything on this......I'll provide proof of actual pieces that litter Anasazi country. You will see the difference then.

Indian Grinding Stones and Mortars

http://www.eugenecarsey.com/camp/alabamahills/grindingstones/grindingholes03matrix01.jpg

These are pictures of california grinding stones AKA: as mortars and I want you to notice on most of these pictures they are round.

Hope this helps. Always remain open to learning.

If you want to learn,listen to me................................I can show you these that are over a foot deep,and bowls that have the bottoms worn through,as said,I aint no young kid :thumbsup:

http://riekesna.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/acorn-meal/

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I seen the nuggets in your avatar, so it would be a safe guess that you have already looked for gold in that quartz. Is this in California?

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen the nuggets in your avatar, so it would be a safe guess that you have already looked for gold in that quartz. Is this in California?

Yep,heart of the Motherlode,always lookin for Gold Bosn,and nope the quartz right in this general area is barren.There is another bigger quartz rock with twice as many "mortars",behind where I am standing to take these pictures,I will get back down there.
I have spent my entire live in the Bush,not in the city,I run a cattle ranch,and have hunted professionally for The Gov. for over 20 years,all over the western United States....I have seen a grinding rock or two

S

stefen

As a side bar, I know of 2 major Native American heiroglyphic on boulders adjacent to 2 of 4 grinding rocks near my cabin...will post pictures when I find them...

Just thought that this was not the usual situation...

Maybe Kuger and others have similar conditions...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very often they used "portable",ones here as well although they nevr took the "bowl"...or "mortar",if you will with them.They did take the pestle.They would over turn them so didnt collect water,freeze and break.They were left in historic Black oak groves that they returned to yearly.Most of those have been picked up(my family happens to have over 100......but occasionally one may still be found

I use them as stepping stones in the yard. We used to not hump them out as they were to heavy to climb with. If you took one you are loaded down. Later we started to carry out the double cupped ones. I have a few but not that many. Am packing my gear for a bow hunt in the morn.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a side bar, I know of 2 major Native American heiroglyphic on boulders adjacent to 2 of 4 grinding rocks near my cabin...will post pictures when I find them...

Just thought that this was not the usual situation...

Maybe Kuger and others have similar conditions...

Stefan,I have never seen any petroglyphs,or hieroglyphs in this area,or the mid coastal area........In Nevada and So. Cal though...different story!!!!I have photographed well over 1000 throughout the years.
These Indians made use of what was in the area of the acorn producing trees,it didnt matter much the shape or location as long as they could sit,and the trees were near.Near just about every spring if there is a big rock one can find grinding holes,as in bad acorn years they would mash Buckeyes and they were extremely bitter so they had to be leached about four times more than acorn meal

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use them as stepping stones in the yard. We used to not hump them out as they were to heavy to climb with. If you took one you are loaded down. Later we started to carry out the double cupped ones. I have a few but not that many. Am packing my gear for a bow hunt in the morn.

Yea,my grandmother and her sisters had plants in many for years!!!I have packed out a few,but like you,some are best just right where they have been for all these years.
Along the coast here are the most beautiful artfully done bowls I have ever seen.Just about every old Ranch House has one or two in the yard.As said,these slabs of em are every where here,I dont even take much note of them anymore...thousands of years of occupation........and no the 49ers did not use them either

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck in the morn!!!Our deer are rutting hard...the seasons closed,but I just hunt em with a camera any more :thumbsup:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to learn,listen to me................................I can show you these that are over a foot deep,and bowls that have the bottoms worn through,as said,I aint no young kid :thumbsup:

Acorn Meal « Riekes Nature Awareness

Amusing......I am no young kid either and use rationalization when examining a artifact. The pictures you have cannot convince me that they are what you claim they are. This is not to say you are incorrect, this is saying from what I can see I do not see it. I look for evidence when looking at a artifact or a supposed artifact. I listen to know one unless you are a schooled archy with a secondary in geology. I have seen numerous rocks along rivers that look like your so called grinding stone. They are not. Now if you want to learn then look for actual evidence that would prove to me and any other member doubting your claim that this is a true grinding stone. ALL ARTIFACTS WILL SHOW EVIDENCE OF WORKMANSHIP AND USAGE. These pictures do not show it. Show me a picture of that same stone and give some close ups of the cup areas. Is there tell-tail grinding?? Is there Tell-tail striation marks from the usage? Show me these then I will believe that may be a artifact...................... grindingrock2.jpg acorn_mortar_holes_friant_ca.jpg

Attachments

• acorn_mortar_holes_friant_ca.jpg
    acorn_mortar_holes_friant_ca.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 I am a life time...7 th generation Gold Miner both hard rock and placer,so I know a thing or two about geology.#2 please tell me,or show me what else would make exact replica grinding holes in these rocks!!Natural whirlpool action?If that is your case you have never seen one,or know how they form...a pebble is caught in a whirlpool,which is caused by an eddy,caused by a narrowing,or direction change of the flow,this location is in a flat feild,no reason for an eddy to be here,ever.#3 these potholes as we call them are in soft rock like Limestome etc,which is bedrock,potholes are never made in a self standing boulder..........I am not here to prove anything to you,who are you?I dont appreciate my word being doubted,in a field you have zero clue about.Your basis of merit given to an "archy",tells me everything I need to know about you......I learned what I know from being in the field,not read from some book,written by some self righteous professor that couldnt discredit any of their mentors or be shunned,yea,you can stick your "Archy",verification.
As said,when I am back down that way,and feel like mucking these out,maybe I will show a better picture,but for the rest of the folks that can appreciate something just a little different enjoy!!!

Look into my reputation on here as a gold miner....this is on my ranch,there are no other whirlpool potholes on this entire creek,do you not think I would know every pothole on a creek on my own ranch?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread