Indian Cave at the head of Dog Creek

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The next thing I'm going to try edit this post and take out the directions the cave at the head of Dog Creek in the Umpqua National Forest, which the Forest Service has removed from all their maps. I've recieved private messages asking me to take out the directions for fear the paintings might be vandalized. Personally I felt that the place is so darn remote that there would be little danger of that, but on the other hand, if someone did vandalize the site and it was my fault, I'd feel terrible, so on their advice I'll remove the directions. The location of the cave is in an area that is mineralized, copper ore.jpg (this is peacock ore from the area) The head of the creek is a large basin with a mine on one ridge and the Indian cave on the other. The mine is a patented gold mine from around 1937, and I've been told that it's owned by a Canadian Company, so it's private property, but nobody stops someone if they want to visit it and poke around. The gold was low grade or, and nothing has been done there for years. It's quite a hike to get in there, but when there it's interesting. cabin 4A.jpg cabin 13.jpg I can't make it anymore, the trail is on the ridge, and for a kid it isn't bad, but once off the ridge, trust me, the country stands on end. cabin 8.jpg Beyond the mine you are entering an archeology sensitive area, and the Forest Service has a locked gate that in the past was only open during hunting season. The road is no longer maintained. In the area is Limpy Rock which has a cave at the base that is large enough to stable a dozen horses, and was occupied by the Indians. There are no paintings in this cave, and it is a booger to get to. The cave is at the down hill bottom of the rock, and the ground is hand hold steep getting down to it. The last three guys I took up there refused to go down to it. There was no evidence of artifacts, they have been picked over for years, but in the drip line of the cave there was lots of bones, remains of what they ate, and I was surprised at the small size of the animals, like they were mostly calf elk or deer fawns. I can recognize the remains of cloven hoofed animals, so they weren't dog bones. Not only is there the cave in the rock, there is also a vein of low grade peacock copper ore runs right through it, which I thought was interesting. I'd wondered where the Indians got their water the first time I was there, because it looked to me like they would have to go a long way. But with the google earth map it's easy to see a large spring a few hundred yards from the cave. At the dead end of the road, there is a trail to the Indian cave with paintings. This hike is on the ridge, and isn't too bad if you are young. It's all down hill going in, but it's all up hill coming out, and with my heart problems it was a long slow hike for me, and I won't be going again. Enough talking, here's the cave. cave 1.jpg cave 2.jpg Indian Cave0001.jpg Indian Cave0002.jpg Indian Cave0003.jpg Indian Cave0004.jpg Indian Cave0005.jpg Indian Cave0006.jpg Indian Cave0007.jpg Indian Cave0009.jpg Indian Cave0010.jpg Indian Cave0011.jpg Indian Cave0012.jpg This cave was completely dug out at least 70 years ago, so there are no arrowheads to find, but that's not important anyhow, the paints are the best I've seen for a long time, these pictures were taken probably 30 years ago, and I was there last summer, the paintings seem to be faded, but there has been no vandalism, probably because it's really hard to get to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man,Bosn.Not sure ya should have posted its location.I have seen too many petroglyphs destroyed,even spray painted over in my years,makes my blood boil.We live in un sacred times my friend,people have no respect or morals anymore

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post and pics. I drove through that country once from Crater Lake to the coast. It is some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen. Thanks.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the look.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a view. I would like staying up at that old cabin and exploring the area. Am glad you got picture as one day that is all that will be left of those paintings.
Merry Christmas sir :thumbsup:

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Your very kind Bosnmate thanks for shareing I would rather go there than some kind of national monument.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some interesting paintings, thanks for the study material. Great images, thanks for sharing.

I've been told that the 4th painting and the last two indicate female. If this is a fact, then my thoughts are it's a moon cave for women, and the other paintings are calling on the spirits to protect the women during their stay there. This cave is isolated from the main group, there is no close supply of water or food, and there are indications of sizable numbers of people staying up there at the large cave and shelter rocks close by the big one. Occupation was probably only spring or summer because winters would be brutal up there, and food wouldn't be real convenient, salmon from the river would be a long hard hike, and feed for elk and deer in the deep timber would be scarce, requiring long hunts.

IlliniGuy

Dec 8, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing pictorial! I have had to look at this several times. NA rock art has always been an interest of mine. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread