Found a point cache today!! Help with I.D. Please...

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone...I have never had a cause to post in this forum before, as I had never found a complete point, but today was just unbelievable. I'm still in shock!

Here is the link to the whole story:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...eal-day-relics-13-projectile-point-cache.html

What I would like to know is....Are these Hillsborough Points?

I found 10 nice ones, and 3 broken tips in a hole while digging a piece of buckshot.

IMG_20121227_151331.jpg

IMG_20121227_143519.jpg

IMG_20121227_133404.jpg

IMG_20121227_192531.jpg

IMG_20121227_192643.jpg

IMG_20121227_192657.jpg

That's a quarter in those shots, if you can't tell....

Thanks alot for any help anyone can give me on these........

Edit: More pics.....

artifacts 001.JPG

artifacts 003.JPG

artifacts 004.JPG

artifacts 005.JPG

artifacts 006.JPG

artifacts 007.JPG

artifacts 008.JPG

artifacts 009.JPG

artifacts 010.JPG

artifacts 011.JPG

artifacts 012.JPG

artifacts 013.JPG

artifacts 014.JPG

artifacts 015.JPG

artifacts 016.JPG

artifacts 017.JPG

artifacts 018.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 1

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looky there.. prompting new memberships already. Hope your GPS. was off when you took the photos in the field.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I hope you don't mind my asking, can you show us the coordinates on the map where you found them? Just kidding!!! However, I do want to know, how many points must be found together for a find to be called a cache?

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
id say three of same type nc even 2 could be considered a cache if you could prove they were stashed for later use but of course that would be impossible but id say three same point types could be considered a cache

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looky there.. prompting new memberships already. Hope your GPS. was off when you took the photos in the field.

I don't know if it is applied to the pics with my current phone settings...I had that thought, so I did a few "dead drops" with the pics before posting it here.

The new ones are from my camera here at my house.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if it is applied to the pics with my current phone settings...I had that thought, so I did a few "dead drops" with the pics before posting it here.

The new ones are from my camera here at my house.

Good! We're on the same page.

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy went to Lowes and bought some rods to make probes with! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honest! I came to tnet this morning with the intention of posting a comment about how long it has been since a truly ancient artifact has been on the banner, and how even though MY hunting chances are slim till we get rain, I was hoping someone else could make a banner find! again, Congratulations Jon! what a way to end the year!:hello2:

Thanks!

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
I don't know the rules of a cache but after a flood i found 7 points and a game stone in a pocket under tree roots. Not where they would've washed to definetly put there together. Saw one tip sticking outta the dirt and when I picked up the clod there was more with it. Weird thing is only two of them were the same type. All were the same period but 5 different types. I called it a cache.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
bsit1361 said:
I don't know the rules of a cache but after a flood i found 7 points and a game stone in a pocket under tree roots. Not where they would've washed to definetly put there together. Saw one tip sticking outta the dirt and when I picked up the clod there was more with it. Weird thing is only two of them were the same type. All were the same period but 5 different types. I called it a cache.

Sorry to bomb you with questions, but, is their a specific study to cache finds or luck? I know luck is a key in any finds, just wandering if some hunters go for cache finds specifically.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would not conciser that a casche. While a great find...it was likely points over a period of time that wound up in that area long before that tree. The tree roots only brought them closer to the surface and aided in the erosion in a way that made that portion visible. My understanding of a casche is that those points were made usually of the same piece of stone likely by the same man and carried or placed together in a group for his use or trade.. likely in a pouch. Jmo.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not going to hijack but my massive cache was 3 items together made by the same guy. You finds are stellar sir.

...I just found a pic of my one and only cache,I think it was one complete and 6 knife blanks

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my god! To say that is the find of a lifetime is an understatement!!!! Absolutely unreal!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right! He's either going to be real fired up.. or ruined for hunting for a while..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread