Found a point cache today!! Help with I.D. Please...

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone...I have never had a cause to post in this forum before, as I had never found a complete point, but today was just unbelievable. I'm still in shock!

Here is the link to the whole story:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...eal-day-relics-13-projectile-point-cache.html

What I would like to know is....Are these Hillsborough Points?

I found 10 nice ones, and 3 broken tips in a hole while digging a piece of buckshot.

IMG_20121227_151331.jpg

IMG_20121227_143519.jpg

IMG_20121227_133404.jpg

IMG_20121227_192531.jpg

IMG_20121227_192643.jpg

IMG_20121227_192657.jpg

That's a quarter in those shots, if you can't tell....

Thanks alot for any help anyone can give me on these........

Edit: More pics.....

artifacts 001.JPG

artifacts 003.JPG

artifacts 004.JPG

artifacts 005.JPG

artifacts 006.JPG

artifacts 007.JPG

artifacts 008.JPG

artifacts 009.JPG

artifacts 010.JPG

artifacts 011.JPG

artifacts 012.JPG

artifacts 013.JPG

artifacts 014.JPG

artifacts 015.JPG

artifacts 016.JPG

artifacts 017.JPG

artifacts 018.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it picks up tiny little things that are pretty deep.

The way I have it set, it chatters a lot, but I also have an active smartphone, and sometimes a GPS going, which I'm sure, causes some of that.

I just ignore the chatter (like you would get used to a louder threshold tone), and only perk up when I get a hit. Then I go over the spot of the hit, and watch the display for a number, id, and confidence meter reading, before I dig.

I have the sensitivity set high, and search in all metal while relic hunting though. I would imagine that a discrimination mode hunt with the sensitivity toned down would quiet it, but it would also make it less effective for what I am using it for right now.

I was finding small buckshot that was 8-10 inches deep that previous diggers had missed, so the thing is doing it's job for sure.

There are some youtube videos that go over the settings that are way more helpful than the useless owners manual.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Jon Phillips said:
Nah....I'm way too tall for a Leprechaun! And they are lucky by nature....I have what is reffered to as "dumb luck"....whole different thing!

Least you got the luck. I just got what they call dumb.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The chatter is what is driving me nuts. I am getting the little signals as well but nothing the old tesoro would not hit. That manual is useless. Vol1266 has sent me some settings but have been using the at pro and tesoro in good areas. No confidence yet. Your Cache is still getting banner hits every day even though it already made banner. Congratulations Jon. This is not the first time someone who primarily metal detects has come upon and made banner with an artifact before a relic. Bet you never thought you would find something like this.
HH

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fact! I've never had much luck with stone artifacts before...even though I've always kept my eyes open for them. I figured my only chance of ever making the banner would have been if I ever happen upon a nice gold coin...and those don't even make the banner every time.

My father and I definately got "the bug" now! He has found plenty of them in his youth, and I ended up with a few of the ones that survived the many moves of his early life...but since those popped out of the ground...we've really been getting excited about getting out into some fields.

We also have a very, deep cut, creek that is spring fed, that bisects our 5 acres...We are going to go to the other side and dig a few trenches and see what pops up. We also got some permission to walk some disked fields.....

As far as the F75....It can be quieted down easy enough....First turn off all electronics that are transmitting and recieving, like phones and gps....Then, if you are in all metal mode, try cutting back on the sensitivity...I've heard that cutting it back quite a few numbers doesn't really affect the depth that much. If that doesn't do it, you could try the discrimination mode, as it is not nearly as "jumpy".

Like I said...you really do get used to it...like with a threshold hum...like most machines it really does take a few hours of using it to get the hang of it, and make adjustments that make it easier to live with.

I run it as "wide open" as I can get by with on a site with very little trash, that is out in the woods, or a field or whatever. Wide open on wet and uneven ground can lead to a lot of chatter, but you can tell an actual hit from the chatter with no problem. I can tone it down a lot in other areas, and still have a nice working, quiet machine.

I like it a lot, but it took some getting used to coming off of White's machines.....

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know hunting here in America if you can hit colonial you have reached the end of time with a metal detector unless you find copper artifacts. But with ancient artifacts you can go back thousands of years with your hunts. It is the best of both worlds for sure.

I know the f75 is a good machine I just need to turn off the iPhone and buckle down and hunt with it. I am getting ready to do just that. Thanks for the advice much appreciated.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now here is a metal detector find!
Imagine if one was made to detect Flint!

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Jon, those tomato, pepper, watermelon, etc. fields are loaded with artifacts. Regarding the creek...... go all out and find rubble piles in it or cracks in the bedrock and fan them out. Find where the creek enters the bay there should be some goodies at the mouth. WOI!!!! Look for cedar trees which love middens and old sites.

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tom. There is a big cedar tree right next to the house on the bank of the creek.

The bottom of the creek is silted, but there are rocky areas as well. I've been thinking about getting in there with some screens, and shovels and moving some dirt through them to see if anything is in the silt. That, and walking the creek back to the spring, plus digging on the higher ground along the creek. there is about a 6 foot long depression on the north side of the creek....I was thinking "dead hooker grave" :laughing7: but maybe some previous residents had dug at one time....

The mouth of the creek at the bay had some mounds at one time...I guess they are road beds thanks to the state!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will load up if you screen that area.

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope!

I have to wait for the 103 degree!! heat index to let up though!!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember what state your in...that's all I'm saying about that.

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember what state your in...that's all I'm saying about that.

Not a navigable waterway.....unless that has changed in the laws...As far as I know, creek walking is still legal. It is shin deep at the deepest spot, and all on private property

The only portion of the creek that is not privately owned is a small section owned buy a homeowner's association, and it is specifically outlined along the course of the creek on the property appraisers site. State owned waterways are outlined and indicate state ownership on the property appraisers sites....

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You lucky dog.. as long as you have permission from the landowner you're good to go.
Best of luck to you!
Please keep us posted.
Mabey one day... if I'm lucky... I could walk that creek with ya.
I'm just a little south.

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told myself it was ok! 8-)

The neighbors are fine with it too....in fact one set of neighbors have keys to the place where the spring is...They have an "In" with those landowners, so I might get to dig around that at some point as well.....

My part of the creek bisects our 5 acres....

martymac

Greenie
Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is so awesome, congrats on the find of the year!

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

I'll always remember, and cherish that day! Not only for what I found, but that I found it with my dad, and my good buddy was there to share in it as well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions