rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I was out looking for Quartz and came across a big Metate. I took a pic of it with me cell but cant upload from my cell. I was wondering what you would do if you found something like this? It was 3ft L and about 12 inches wide and about .75 thick made from Schist. It looked really heavy and I was down probably 100 ft from my truck on a rocky hill. No way I can carry that thing up that hill. I found it in the spot where I found this Pestle. It is made from the same type of stone as pictured. Now the Pestle is small to me compared to the Metate but I guess they could of used it. When I washed the Pestle it was covered in red clay and at the end the clay preserved the end where it was used and you can still see the berries stain they were crushing with it. This is the first and only Pestle I have ever found. I found it about 3 months ago. If you have any ideas as to what to do with the Metate as far as what would you do Id like to hear it.
Thanks, rock

Attachments

• 100_2372.JPG
    100_2372.JPG
    479.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 100_2390.JPG
    100_2390.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't go off color minerals in soil do that. Look at other metates, they are smooth from grinding, yours is not. Just my opinion, but I think it is a piece of natural petrified wood, nice piece well worth keeping, just not a metate.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok well it looked good and of course it fit well in the hand. I hate saying that cause it is a well used verse. Probably just pect wood. I usually dont keep the pect wood unless it is a nice piece. I will keep it cause it looks like it was in a fire at one time before it turned into stone.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh..that's what I said from the beginning....even months ago when you posted in the fossil forum.. I called it petrified wood. The red coloration is natural from a combination of minerals that were in the wood and iron from the soil.I even said then it looked like it might have been in a fire at one time. The very first thing to look at to see if something was used for grinding anything is wear from grinding.

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the only pestle I've ever found. Found it in the 70's. The farm was full of stuff and owned by a friends grandparents so I could look at anytime......miss those days! SANY1324.JPG

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice bell pestle NM. I have yet to find one of my own as a personal find.
@ GB yes you stated that in the fossil forum. But you said lighting might of struck it. Who knows for sure. I am going to believe it was used in a ancient fire pit :thumbsup:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lighting might have started the fire is what I said. Since there wasn't anyone around to throw a cigarette butt out of the car window.. I didn't say all that but do you see my point? Anyway enough right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread