rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I was out looking for Quartz and came across a big Metate. I took a pic of it with me cell but cant upload from my cell. I was wondering what you would do if you found something like this? It was 3ft L and about 12 inches wide and about .75 thick made from Schist. It looked really heavy and I was down probably 100 ft from my truck on a rocky hill. No way I can carry that thing up that hill. I found it in the spot where I found this Pestle. It is made from the same type of stone as pictured. Now the Pestle is small to me compared to the Metate but I guess they could of used it. When I washed the Pestle it was covered in red clay and at the end the clay preserved the end where it was used and you can still see the berries stain they were crushing with it. This is the first and only Pestle I have ever found. I found it about 3 months ago. If you have any ideas as to what to do with the Metate as far as what would you do Id like to hear it.
Thanks, rock

Attachments

• 100_2372.JPG
    100_2372.JPG
    479.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 100_2390.JPG
    100_2390.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 0

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Get a truck with a winch at the top and pull it up. Use a heavy duty mom chain strap so you don't damage the artifact then post pix when done. Good luck.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck!As said in my other post my favorite one took me five trips a little at a time and still bout killed me.Anymore it would have to be real special to come home!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I packed several out balanced on the horn of my saddle. Yarding it out with a wench sounds like the best idea to me, the second best is get a couple of young bucks that need to prove how strong they are, then challenge them. Better yet, have a cute young girl come along, where she could praise them on how strong they are, that would have worked when I was young and dumb and full of testosterone. I worry about the video game boys now though, times they are changing.

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Amen. My boy plays them but he spends 90 percent of the time outside runnin in the woods. He knows his stuff. His buddies are another story.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks for all the ideas. Next time I go maybe I can take my camera. Its hard to get to it and I have to climb over some bolders just to get to that spot. Doubt if I could ever get it out.

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hay Rock ,.. every good ,. no GREAT point collection needs at lest one metate ,. just for balance .
If on private property and have permission ,. try to get it .
I've read all the responses above ,. all seem like they could work ,.. even SOHIO's has ,well,.. "possibilites"
I now know ,. for a fact ,. BosnMate's idea work's . As on last Sunday I found a metate ,. It's more boulder then bowl ,by a long way ! Easy gett'n this one to the tailgate of the truck ,. found it in the middle of a ranch rd. Now, from the ground onto the tailgate ,WELL,.!! NOW,.!!! I did not know till tonight , that my own wife ,.. had played me !!,.. yeah , I'm not so young anymore ,.. still pretty dumb though . well , here's a pic of it ,. and I supose it does look nice in the wife's garden .
That pestle ,. that is a nice find ,.. but need's a mate!!
Go get them pic's of it ,. and the possable out route ,.
Let's see ?? ...Blindpig

Attachments

• DSC07591crrs486x800.jpg
    DSC07591crrs486x800.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it will be hard cause it is at the bottom of a cliff. I have to go way left down a steep hill holding onto trees so I dont fall down the side of it then angle myself to the right about 200 ft to finally reach the bottom then climb over about 30 super size rocks and then the soil is littered with loose rock to finally get to the sand which is mixed with mud and travel a football length before I get to the spot. It is a workout just to get there without carrying a large rock. I dont even like taking hand size tools from that spot. I try to cherry pick the best looking quartz pieces laying around. A lot of brokes and not many wholes. Might of been a trash pit back in ancient times. Where they threw their scrapes and waste pieces. It is at the base of a 100 ft cliff. Every once in a while I find a good piece. Thanks, rock

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
rock said:
Well it will be hard cause it is at the bottom of a cliff. I have to go way left down a steep hill holding onto trees so I dont fall down the side of it then angle myself to the right about 200 ft to finally reach the bottom then climb over about 30 super size rocks and then the soil is littered with loose rock to finally get to the sand which is mixed with mud and travel a football length before I get to the spot. It is a workout just to get there without carrying a large rock. I dont even like taking hand size tools from that spot. I try to cherry pick the best looking quartz pieces laying around. A lot of brokes and not many wholes. Might of been a trash pit back in ancient times. Where they threw their scrapes and waste pieces. It is at the base of a 100 ft cliff. Every once in a while I find a good piece. Thanks, rock

Rock, I agree that some of them are so large that it would be a shame to move them. I know of two that would take a crane to move. In my opinion, they make good land marks for your hunting grounds. You will never lose your spot if those huge things are there.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
NC field hunter said:
Rock, I agree that some of them are so large that it would be a shame to move them. I know of two that would take a crane to move. In my opinion, they make good land marks for your hunting grounds. You will never lose your spot if those huge things are there.

image-797185968.jpg

This one has been damaged, but it has 4 cupped out spots on it. One large one, and three the size in the pic.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock.. use the trees on the hill for leverage and tie off to the stone. Pull it up some...hammer a piece of wood into the side of the hill to set it on...... reset the rope on another tree...repeat. I've pulled gear up cliffs like that.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joke all you want..
It works. Haha ...hehe

.I wasn't kidding

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Through my humor or sarcasm, which ever you prefer, I was being honest. The one I posted above was a remarkable artifact at one time. Loggers ruined it. However, if it were at a cliff's bottom, that would be where you admired it. This one sat on flat ground and in perfect condition for thousands of years and never moved. Not trying to tic you off Gator, but to tie off to that would be like having a piano on your opposing end.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:
Guess he should call Batman then huh.

That or wind up like the coyote, depending on the size of it. I'm not saying you can't pull rather large ones up, but some of them around here are permanent fixtures.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That or wind up like the coyote, depending on the size of it. I'm not saying you can't pull rather large ones up, but some of them around here are permanent fixtures.

Didn't sound to me like the one... Rock.. .. gave the dimensions to was beyond moving 100 feet. I don't know about the ones you're talking about. They were not in question.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I had a terrible day at work and you 2 made me laugh! I do thank you for the way you say to remove it but it will probably stay there. When walking around and climbing over all those rocks it truly takes all of your concentration to keep your balance due to the rocks moving while trying to walk on them. I have had a large rock roll over my leg in 2004 and break it in 3 pieces and you would think I would stay away from them but I guess I am a little crazy just like almost all arrowhead collectors I have ever met. It takes a certain type of person to actually enjoy that type of danger looking for a little rock. And that person like so many others out there is me. I love the thrill of the hunt not just finding the treasure! Next time I am out there I will make sure I have some extra time and maybe I can see a way to take it home. Thanks, rock

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay Rock ,.. every good ,. no GREAT point collection needs at lest one metate ,. just for balance .
If on private property and have permission ,. try to get it .
I've read all the responses above ,. all seem like they could work ,.. even SOHIO's has ,well,.. "possibilites"
I now know ,. for a fact ,. BosnMate's idea work's . As on last Sunday I found a metate ,. It's more boulder then bowl ,by a long way ! Easy gett'n this one to the tailgate of the truck ,. found it in the middle of a ranch rd. Now, from the ground onto the tailgate ,WELL,.!! NOW,.!!! I did not know till tonight , that my own wife ,.. had played me !!,.. yeah , I'm not so young anymore ,.. still pretty dumb though . well , here's a pic of it ,. and I supose it does look nice in the wife's garden .
That pestle ,. that is a nice find ,.. but need's a mate!!
Go get them pic's of it ,. and the possable out route ,.
Let's see ?? ...Blindpig

That's a beautiful artifact. I would have helped lift that with you for sure. Did the two of you get it in the back of the truck on the first try?

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I've pondered how to get this home for a while.....dug around base.....the rock just keeps going underground...no telling how far deep it is....

DSCF0059.JPG

Its in there...........

shelter.JPG

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha.. wow.. that's a tuff one.. Mabey make a mold and pour it at home...IDK..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions