well all of the images are just great
thanky Ammo
steve

IlliniGuy

Dec 8, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks like you have some amazing treks. It is very interesting to me to see artifacts such as these from another part of the world and I look forward to your threads. Thank you Sir.

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Really like all the artifacts you show. I have quite a few from that region. Interest in these artifacts has really taken off in the last 5 years. They finally came out with a book " Flint Artifacts of North Africa" by Dave Greenwell.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for sharing these, I always look forward to your posts...# 5 reminds me of either turtle shell fragments?? or resembles the scales from an armadillo..;)

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff, I love that bifaced blade!

#5 is defiantly turtle shell, maybe they are fossils.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Awesome finds there! As previously mentioned, items in #5 appear to be toroise remains. In #15, that rock under those round rocks looks like a metate. Also in photo #20, could that have been a site where they had their grain seperated from the stalks, with the use of livestock, (threshed). And was later winnowed. Again, super finds.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Ammonhotep, maybe you can help me with this piece, far from home. I was given this tool by a friend who got it from an agent of some sort that back in the 40's shot a huge African elephant, brought back the tusks and some teeth and also brought back this tool. It says it's from southernmost Libya, Fazzan. That's Saharan, ain't it? Wish I had the tusks!!! I only collect personal finds and this is one of only a handful of objects I've been given.
I suspect Homo Non sapiens???? Acheulian Axe? The very tip has a small chip, unfortunately probably since found cause it looks fresh compared to the rest of the piece, and it looks like quartzite/quartz to me. Does it have desert patina/varnish? LOL? Although I am very interested in this piece, it will probably not be in my collection long.
20121105_120131.jpg

20121105_120156.jpg

20121105_120227.jpg

20121105_120242.jpg

20121105_120309.jpg

20121105_1203210.jpg

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also liked and really enjoying the "Saharan Peripatetics"! They way you are documenting your journey is very cool. Is this your home land or are you on vacation? The tools are great and like the serrations on some. The bladelets,, well I never would have thought of that. Looks the blades on my big wood planers.
Enjoy the journey and please keep sharing your treks.
Be safe
TnMtns

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking artifacts as usual you took some great pictures of them. I am thinking you must be a writer by the pics and the way you present yourself. It is always like reading a good book when you post. Thanks for the experience of your trip. rock

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds and pics, pic#4 The concave piece what is the age on that one are they from the pyramid (ancient egyptians) time frame or older Ive seen some egyptian flint before mainly large curved knives? Those are really neat artifcats.

Last edited:

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Congrats, sounds like a great couple of days! Love the story mode set-up! :icon_thumleft:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Ammon, other then the human remains I have no idea what in the world you are talking about. I have no education in your field. However, I think your pics are pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Crispin

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Frisco ... Thanks!

@BirdCloud ... The picture in #4 is a bifacial, concave-based point with one tang broken off. This one is late neolithic (pre-Pharaonic). They are unique to Egypt as far as I know. Although a few specimens have been found as far as modern-day Israel it did not appear to be a stable lithic form that far away from the Nile.

And just now it started raining in Cairo! What a weird experience that is. :-)

Thanks for the heads up I was reading a article a few months ago about flint artifacts in egypt (pharaonic phase) is why I asked, Ive seen alot of neolithic artifacts but none like the concave pieces, took a master knapper to make those imo.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ammonhotep, maybe you can help me with this piece, far from home. I was given this tool by a friend who got it from an agent of some sort that back in the 40's shot a huge African elephant, brought back the tusks and some teeth and also brought back this tool. It says it's from southernmost Libya, Fazzan. That's Saharan, ain't it? Wish I had the tusks!!! I only collect personal finds and this is one of only a handful of objects I've been given.
I suspect Homo Non sapiens???? Acheulian Axe? The very tip has a small chip, unfortunately probably since found cause it looks fresh compared to the rest of the piece, and it looks like quartzite/quartz to me. Does it have desert patina/varnish? LOL? Although I am very interested in this piece, it will probably not be in my collection long.
20121105_120131.jpg

20121105_120156.jpg

20121105_120227.jpg

20121105_120242.jpg

20121105_120309.jpg

20121105_1203210.jpg
Aggsbach's Paleolithic Blog | Discussing paleolithic and neolithic artefacts in their archaeological and historical context
Tom check this guys site out scroll thru his past posts talks alot about hand axes from europe and africa.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd never make it out there I have terrible wanderlust ....another great post

21 - IMG_0765sm.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread