antler pressure flaking artifacts

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some antler pressure flaking tools on one of my sites that are always the same section close to the skull. I was hoping someone had the same or knew a bit about why that portion might be preferred. Is that section harder? The larger one appears to have been used for a long time. It has been modified some and is heavily polished on the side that faced the hand

ForumRunner_20130107_000923.png

ForumRunner_20130107_000116.png

ForumRunner_20130107_000237.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one of the tools I've found I mentioned earlier. What do you guys think? Knapping?

ForumRunner_20130107_183225.png

ForumRunner_20130107_183307.png

ForumRunner_20130107_183347.png

ForumRunner_20130107_183415.png

ForumRunner_20130107_183443.png

animoosh

Dec 18, 2012
Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion, your rock seems to posses the same fracturing (conchoidal) properties as any rock you would use it to knap on. In my experience, a rock with the same qualities isn't really the best to try to knap another. Something harder, such as granite or hardstone would work much better...but would still cause a lot of crushing on impact.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if used on lower quality material...which there is alot of here..my "rock" should work or so I think. What do yo think that "rock" is? Mabey it was used in makeng shell tools somehow.. I'm not sure. Thanks for your help. I see you have over 40 yrs. Experience in Canada .. is there any tool up there that resembles this "tool" from Florida?

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As to the type it looks like flint to me. Now it does look like a core or a early stage preform.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I don't know why I post some things on here that I should know people aren't going to be used to seeing. If you look at the flaking pattern it's obvious that section was purposely shaped in that manner. there is no reason that pressure flaking in that small area at those angles would be part of the process of knapping a projectile point. And yes of course it's Flint.

animoosh

Dec 18, 2012
Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gatorboy....maybe such objects were used on softer materials like sandstone or limestone. I've seen the odd example up here which I believe were used someway in the meat/hide preparation process. Bone working is yet another possibility. Close examination of the "business" end of your artifact may reveal whether it was used to smash on things or used to scrape/score them. There's some evidence that certain flint type tools were used to "peck" minute grains off of hardstone to create grooves for hafting, etc. This was accomplished by the repeated pecking of the target stone, pulverizing small amounts of material as they went. (I'm sure this was horribly tedious!)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL glad I could help. Its a flake tool, thats what I call them.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh..good thought...pecking... would work. On These guys

ForumRunner_20130107_192844.png

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As to the type it looks like flint to me. Now it does look like a core or a early stage preform.

That's not What you called them Only a few minutes ago.

animoosh

Dec 18, 2012
Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh..good thought...pecking... would work. On These guys

View attachment 722414

Now that's a cool sinker! Such artifacts don't exist up here, For sinkers, early peoples just took a small slab of limestone...knocked a "V" shaped notch out of two opposite sides and tie their lines around it. Very simple yet effective. The rivers here have really rocky and craggy bottoms, so I'm sure they lost a lot of these sinkers to snags...probably why they didn't put a lot of effort into making sinkers. Thanks for sharing that photo!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains and kuger....I would be willing to bet that early man in your respective areas knew the properties of those woods and used them when needed. It would be fun to experiment with both types.
Many might call BS on this but where we summer our cows is a pretty fair sized obsidian outcrop,and two different tribes "shared",it,and traded it to at least four different tribes.When I was a kid I picked up the pedical of an elk antler and about 9"of the main beam,the brow tine was broke off and it had been "petrified",thats what I thought at least but may not have been petrified seeing many other cow bones from that desert enviro now...it was just VERY old...the interesting thing is there to this day no elk within 300+ miles of there.You could see strike marks in it where they whacked blanks from spawls.I have looked for where Dad put that for over 15 years now,and be darned f I can find it?Someday I sure hope to see it again

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a cool sinker! Such artifacts don't exist up here, For sinkers, early peoples just took a small slab of limestone...knocked a "V" shaped notch out of two opposite sides and tie their lines around it. Very simple yet effective. The rivers here have really rocky and craggy bottoms, so I'm sure they lost a lot of these sinkers to snags...probably why they didn't put a lot of effort into making sinkers. Thanks for sharing that photo!

Funny you say that... they do the same thing here with hard sandstone. that's one of the reasons I don't believe those to be sinkers down here..also if you look closely at that one it is grooved on top and bottom.

ForumRunner_20130107_200937.png

animoosh

Dec 18, 2012
Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can bet that elk antler was used in that quarry. The broken brow tine may have resulted from them prying the stone out of the matrix or separating larger chunks. There also may have been elk present when the natives were there. Here in Manitoba, there hasn't been an elk around in the wild for at least 250 years, yet when the first Europeans arrived, elk were the predominant deer species here. Whitetails only showed up once the agriculture of the 1800's showed up.

animoosh

Dec 18, 2012
Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you say that... they do the same thing here with hard sandstone. that's one of the reasons I don't believe those to be sinkers down here..also if you look closely at that one it is grooved on top and bottom.

View attachment 722448

If not sinkers, what do you think the grooved pieces are? Would be an interesting study, considering there appears to be two different types of stones that could fit the same purpose. Do you think that the more simple weights may be older? Ground and pecked tools are the hallmark of the Archaic time period. You think the others may predate these?

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha... We have just stumbled upon An ongoing debate over these little artifacts we call plummets. It's a doozy... I have even entertained the thought that they could serve as a weight for spinning threads together. Here is a perplexing one I found here locally...it is pottery.

ForumRunner_20130107_203057.png

animoosh

Dec 18, 2012
Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha... We have just stumbled upon An ongoing debate over these little artifacts we call plummets. It's a doozy... I have even entertained the thought that they could serve as a weight for spinning threads together. Here is a perplexing one I found here locally...it is pottery.

View attachment 722475

Well, if they're not for fishing, then I'm at a loss. There is nothing like these artifacts up this way, so I'm not even able to give it an educated guess, Fascinating though....

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 722475
I swear I seen something very similar in Emory Strongs writtings on the Great Basin?Seems they didnt know what they were either....they were made from stone though

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 722448
....and those I am nearly positive have been found here still attached to Jackrabbit nets.I know I have found them

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets go with this...its more interesting than flaking tools. .... were those Jack Rabbit nets native artifacts?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread