rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the size of it as in inches tall?

OP
OP
digordie

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
It is abt 3 1/2" round/ tall. It has a rough texture all over the surface like sandstone.

OP
OP
digordie

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
bsit1361 said:
Was it found on a known site? If it was in a river could be natural wear.

My friends kid found it on their property. They had 400 acres high desert land. He found others the size of bowling balls perfectly round almost. The kid also found a couple arrowheads and a scraper on the land. They just assumed these balls were natural but i thought id find out fron you all before i speculated too much.

OP
OP
digordie

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
rock said:
Ive researched a lot on them. I have come up with many different theories as to what they are and were used for. Some were hammer stones which they then turned into the round shape. Some natural concentrations (sand stone mainly). And also game balls used by NA Indians usually from the Woodland periods. And then there is that pesty mill ball. The mill ball has a seam on it that is usually visible. I have seen the large stone balls from other countries that they consider mystery stones. So the choice is yours, thanks rock

Ya i find them to be facinating. Thanks for your thoughts.

OP
OP
digordie

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
rock said:
Well if yours in the real thing and it doesnt have damage seeing it is the rite size yours would be worth 40 to 75 depending on the sale. If you like I can post one I have made from quartz and then smoothed down with a pic of it in a book.

Sure that would be cool to see it. I wonder how they would have made these.

OP
OP
digordie

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
rock said:
I dont know how they made them it didnt say in the book. The little tiny pieces missing on the stone is patina from age.

Wow that is awesome. Is it yours. What is a quartz one worth.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if where you live at. If there is geodes? Geodes come in round shapes just a thought. I havent found any here but I do know they look round. Not saying your is one but I havent seen you post back on this.

OP
OP
digordie

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
rock said:
I was wondering if where you live at. If there is geodes? Geodes come in round shapes just a thought. I havent found any here but I do know they look round. Not saying your is one but I havent seen you post back on this.

Yes there are tons of geodes where i live here in illinois but this particular ball was found by a friend in colorado.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I wasnt sure what a geode looked like before they cracked it open. Have you found out any more info on it?

OP
OP
digordie

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
rock said:
OK I wasnt sure what a geode looked like before they cracked it open. Have you found out any more info on it?

No havent found out much else. My friend thinks they are natural for some reason but im not so convinced. Its just odd to me that nature could make such perfect spheres but then again the earth is a pretty perfect sphere.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
digordie said:
No havent found out much else. My friend thinks they are natural for some reason but im not so convinced. Its just odd to me that nature could make such perfect spheres but then again the earth is a pretty perfect sphere.

You may be correct. However, my theory has always been bass ackwards from yours. I say in man made things like your piece, look for imperfections. Not to hit on religion at all, but nature is the only perfection on our planet. I have tossed quite a few things, because they were too perfect.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many has he found? I know sand stone does come in round natural shapes sometimes.

OP
OP
digordie

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
rock said:
How many has he found? I know sand stone does come in round natural shapes sometimes.

Ya he said there were alot of them but they only kept a few of them. The other ones are large like bowling ball size.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
If there were a lot of them and they were not associated with other finds......I'd probably lean toward concretions that often dissolve out of sandstone.
Cannonball concretions

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread