Newbie needs some help..lol...Native American Artifacts or Just Rocks?

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Hate to say it but looks like regular rocks there. Try some close ups of the smaller ones. Keep looking and try looking up your area and researching indian activity. Good luck.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
If one is a Celt, it is mighty crude. I see why you would think Celt, but I must agree, only rocks. However, if you are on a creek, you will find something I would think!! Keep up the good work!!

OP
OP
M

M.Bost

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2013
Green Mountain, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi..thank you for taking a look and the time to reply...the "hatchet" looking rock appears to have been grooved out for a handle..I took a close-up if you don't mind looking at it..also took some close ups of the one that have me questioning if they are more than just rocks...thanks again!! hatchet or axe head 002.JPG hatchet or axe head 005.JPG hatchet or axe head 006.JPG

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need to see some pictures of side views so we can see thickness. At first look though I believe they are all just naturally formed rocks.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you found any little flakes of flint in the creek?

Welcome to t-net M.Bost

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River rocks but look along the banks and if there are any sand or gravel bars look in those spots. The shapes are correct but they dont show any alteration on them. Most and not all will have the cortex removed if they were ever used as a tool.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum M-Bost. Keep looking you will find one. Ask any question so we can help you find one faster!!!..............GTP(Chris)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think 2th picture top row is a artifacts

We would have to see both sides to know for sure. Most have the rite shape but the secondary flaking is what you have to look for.

OP
OP
M

M.Bost

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2013
Green Mountain, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I truly believe this one is some type of celt..the hand groove is perfect..thanks for taking a look...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mother nature makes tillions of rocks in to strange shapes and man's mind tries to turn many into artifacts, in the end they are still just rocks... I see nothing there either, keep looking...

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have similar shapes to artifacts but I think they're just rocks. Stay away from that 'fits the hand perfectly' designation. I can find you a thousand rocks today that do that but doesn't mean they were used for anything. Look for flakes in the area. Also, you might check the material you found and see if it flakes well. If it does, people would use it and you might find evidence of a workshop or temporary camp in the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread