Really cool find today. Gorget! Or ????

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First day we've had above freezing in a week. I went digging for a bit in a spot where I found three really nice points before it got cold and found a bunch of chips, a few shells and animal bones and then this. I've never found anything like it. You can see where a third hole was drilled but the stone broke. Thoughts or opinions. It was found in Massachusetts, 50 feet from a salt water pond.

IMG_3721.JPG
IMG_3722.JPG IMG_3723.JPG IMG_3724.JPG IMG_3725.JPG

Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT IS NEAT..do nt know much about them as i have never found one.im not sure about it being anything but natural though.do you see any grooves inside the holes

OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, there are groove marks inside the holes. No way this is natural. It appears to be a very soft stone of some sort. A soapstone possibly. I was able to find a picture of a similar piece, only more broken and with only one hole drilled, in a book from an excavation done about a mile from where I am. They classified it as possible Gorget or Pendant.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dosent seem nice enough for a gorget or pendent,i think,maybe they used it to so to say temper their drills.but like i said i know very little about them,thanks for posting it as id like to learn more about it

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the material - looks like soapstone by the pic. - if so they should be repair holes in a fragment of a soapstone vessel. Looks a bit thin, but thats my best guess.

OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm 99% sure it's soapstone. I'm fairly new to artifact hunting, what do you mean by repair holes to a soapstone vessel?

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I see where a third hole was. Interesting find. I can't say I'm familiar with the lithic on this one.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that wise one mr wells thinks it could of been a pot or cup or water bottle,so on.

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
In my opinion it looks like a shard of soapstone drilled where handles would've been. I've got pieces of bowls with 2 holes but not 3. Pretty cool.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen bowls and vessels but all I have ever found was a gorget made of that material. That is a cool find. Very promising site for sure.

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm 99% sure it's soapstone. I'm fairly new to artifact hunting, what do you mean by repair holes to a soapstone vessel?
Soapstone bowls and pots sooner or later would crack from use. They were repaired by drilling a hole on either side of the crack and then drawn together with rawhide or cordage. The fragment you show looks like it had two or three cracks being repaired.

musky44

Jan 29, 2010
west viginia
maybe the top of a steatite bowl. the holes may have been for running cordage through for carrying. i have a few pieces of steatite bowls that i have found but none with holes. that is a cool piece.

OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After doing a bunch of research, I'm sure this is a piece of a soapstone vessel (bowl, etc..) with repair holes. Very excited about this find. We have no soapstone here so it would have been traded.

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
After doing a bunch of research, I'm sure this is a piece of a soapstone vessel (bowl, etc..) with repair holes. Very excited about this find. We have no soapstone here so it would have been traded.
There are soapstone quarries in Mass., Pa. , Md. and Va.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. I cant wait to see what else you pull from that spot.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Soapstone bowls and pots sooner or later would crack from use. They were repaired by drilling a hole on either side of the crack and then drawn together with rawhide or cordage. The fragment you show looks like it had two or three cracks being repaired.

Yes, that's likely what it is. Even though soapstone is a soft stone, it was still time consuming, especially where large vessels are concerned, so repairs were the order of the day. Some of the largest quarries in the region were located in what is now RI. Have found bowl forms, partial bowls and countless shards. Here's a shard with repair hole and partial hole...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 71

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are soapstone quarries in Mass., Pa. , Md. and Va.

Here's an old photo of the Ochee Springs soapstone quarry in Johnston, RI. Protected, and on the National Historic Register, bowl forms can still be seen attached to the outcrop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 81

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread