Findings that dont make sense

pointshunter

Feb 10, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read an article about how a lot of archeological sites that find tools made from stone that isn't from there one said the projectiles were made from a type that only existed 1500 miles from the site where the tools were-found and another 500 miles from where the point was found i am inerested in hearing about pieces people on here found that were strange because the rock they were made from isnt from the area in which it was foundfound

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pointshunter

pointshunter

Feb 10, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-2898604051.jpg

Attachments

• image-18851948.jpg
    image-18851948.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image-3898822532.jpg
    image-3898822532.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 97
  • image-942287089.jpg
    image-942287089.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 113
  • image-4197767976.jpg
    image-4197767976.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really strange...just evidence of a far reaching trade network.
I found this hardstone celt in central Florida..the closest outcrop of the material is in northern Georgia.

ForumRunner_20130222_111722.png

ForumRunner_20130222_111846.png

OP
OP
pointshunter

pointshunter

Feb 10, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you ever wonder how or y they traveled so far? I am blown away sometimes by the how the native Americans did all that they did do I try to read a lot about them to learn but what I have found is that I'm left with many unanswered questions. Many of which start out with why.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a Black Chert Bi-face that has been retouched. There are pot lid fractures on it from fire. It is not from my area here in southwestern Connecticut where quartz is the most common material used.

Attachments

• 101_5650.jpg
    101_5650.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 101_5649.jpg
    101_5649.jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 98

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think alot of these items and material did not make one straight through trip.. it was a process of shorter trips that overtime spread things quite a distance.. JMO.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always said that trade was far more extensive than most folks would believe. I can give examples from Oklahoma, such as the copper from the great lakes area at Spiro Mound. In western Oklahoma we find a lot of Alibates flint from 200 miles away at the quarry north of Amarillo. We find obsidian and turquoise from New Mexico. Shells from the ocean. These finds are from sites that were active about a 1,000 years ago. You could probably make a good livin as a trader and I doubt that anybody messed with them as that would cut off the supply of goods. Everytime I see one of those petroglyphs of the 'hump-backed flute player' or 'Kokapelli' I like to believe that represents a pack carrying trader, and this is one of his stops, and he plays a flute on his approach to let people know he's here to trade and they won't skewer him with an arrow. Nothin to back that up and just my thoughts on it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Barter and trade well established. A couple sites near me had multi sourced and crafted points together. Not stratified in layers over time. Two sites about a hundred miles apart and a couple thousand years old. Stuff was shuffled all over the continent.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sence to me RGINN It might also lead one to believe the stories of his promiscuous ways.

OP
OP
pointshunter

pointshunter

Feb 10, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im amazed by the things I find wish I would have went to school for archeology it has been my dream since my first find. I figure the trading must have been extensive as to get items 100s of miles from whence they came

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im amazed by the things I find wish I would have went to school for archeology it has been my dream since my first find. I figure the trading must have been extensive as to get items 100s of miles from whence they came

Contact your local historical or archaeological society... most will take volunteers on field work. You can make some great connections and learn alot. And if you ever decide to further your education in that area you can use that time for credit.

OP
OP
pointshunter

pointshunter

Feb 10, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GatorBoy said:
I think alot of these items and material did not make one straight through trip.. it was a process of shorter trips that overtime spread things quite a distance.. JMO.

I agree . Maybe they were traded for other items or whatnot and came a little ways at a time even that would be a great feet being that they are breakable

OP
OP
pointshunter

pointshunter

Feb 10, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GatorBoy said:
Contact your local historical or archaeological society... most will take volunteers on field work. You can make some great connections and learn alot. And if you ever decide to further your education in that area you can use that time for credit.

Thank you that is a great idea . But the schooling thing would be out of the question raising my 4 boys takes most of my free time I'm just hoping one of them catches the hunting bug like me and furthers their education because of it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep. Was it like a foreign coin collection or travel stickers on a suitcase. Or representation of allies. Part of the interest is not having all the answers.
With things known to be traded between the americas and tales of pieces of ships rigging predating columbas sp. A great trade would have existed.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something like a quarry blank may have been traded and tools made when it reached its destination.

OP
OP
pointshunter

pointshunter

Feb 10, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pointshunter said:
Thank you that is a great idea . But the schooling thing would be out of the question raising my 4 boys takes most of my free time I'm just hoping one of them catches the hunting bug like me and furthers their education because of it.

But I'm defiantly going to contact the archeological society that would be a great thing to volunteer on a dig also I've been trying to get a hold of someone from the historical society just found out they are only around the last weekend of every month plan on going tommarow

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well of course GatorBoy, it would have advantages for all concerned to have your daughter hook up with a trader. Well, maybe except for the girl.

OP
OP
pointshunter

pointshunter

Feb 10, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GatorBoy said:
Something like a quarry blank may have been traded and tools made when it reached its destination.

That would make sense maybe you guys on here should write a book I've learned more on here in last week than the last 2 books I've read again thank you guys

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will give you a whole different perspective on the are you live in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread