rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering how many of you have checked out these type of artifacts and what you thought about them. I have just recently started looking and reading on these type. Some are very interesting. Just type it in for your search and then hit images and you can pick the one you want to read. The type is "Acheulean Culture Style Stone Tools"
Let me know what you thought about it.
Thanks, rock

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Tnet search will give you alot of consolidated info on that. There was hundreds of thousands of years of cultural periods before the comparatively recent Clovis people in paleo North America. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acheulean

Last edited:

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
20121105_120242.jpg

20121105_1203210.jpg

Fazzan, Libya
muhaha

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have the right avatar photo for that one Tom

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NC, Acheulean is an Old World, not a New World culture. Tom is showing a killer example of an Acheulean hand axe.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
NC, Acheulean is an Old World, not a New World culture. Tom is showing a killer example of an Acheulean hand axe.

Not certain of your insinuation. My quartz piece is a hand axe of some sort. While I'm posting, let me thank you Charl, for what ever you meant by your comment on my find. I saw this thread earlier today and had planned on posting my personal thoughts on acheulean hand axes. You just reinforced my thoughts on them. I have found many hand axes that fit the mold for these acheulean axes, yet, mine never are allowed to hold the title. They sort of fall in the same place as the paleo end scraper for me. A tool that was used in all periods. Can some one tell me what keeps these from being acheulean hand axes?

image-3437136367.jpg

image-222360522.jpg

image-143838846.jpg

image-2090041836.jpg

image-2452590149.jpg

This is a topic that really confuses me. Help!!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude..just use the link I posted. You won't find that stuff where you are.....well they haven't ...Mabey when we were still connected by techtonic plates something could be here.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Dude..just use the link I posted. You won't find that stuff where you are.....well they haven't ...Mabey when we were still connected by techtonic plates something could be here.

Exactly!! Why are they such a hot commodity if the odds of finding one are one in nine zillion. That is unless you go to Africa. It puzzles me that they are brought up so often. I really do need to read up on them a bit more.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I found it to be interesting. There is no known site ever documented for a site in the U.S.A. that I could find. The closest one I found was in Arizona. Then the person that was looking at it said it was probably middle to late Paleo and they were quartz artifacts. I am still looking at sites and finding them interesting. The only thing I dont agree on is some are trying to include the rock art ones. The ones that stack the rocks together and try to make a statue. I forget the name of it and just skip through that part to the tools. They are quite crude at times. Most of the places that have sites are Africa and Spain. There is a island that they have discovered 9 different sites on it with tools that is 200 miles from any other land source and they say that the people had to come by boat. The sites were 500,000 yrs old. So they are saying they came by boats or rafts. It is hard to think that they had boats way back then. It would be amazing if somebody could find a site of that culture here in the US.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really turns into a study of Homo Erectus. I'm not sure of the island you're talking about But at that time Oceans existed where there are deserts now And islands were the top of mountains On dry land. You can't just look at the way the things are laid out now.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a bunch of pages and different sites on it but I guess I should of book marked that one. The island started with a C and that is all I can remember about it. We have gotten 4 inches of rain just this week so no hunting for me for a week or so till it dries out some. All the creeks look like rivers around here.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you know.... we all have neanderthal D.N.A. in us? Aisians having the most at 4%..African Americans having the least at 1% roughly.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Did you know.... we all have neanderthal D.N.A. in us? Aisians having the most at 4%..African Americans having the least at 1% roughly.

Makes sense. This shouldn't be an offensive stereotype so, I'll toss it out there. Asians seem to be a smarter ethnicity person for person. We all know that stereotypes hold some truth, rather we want to acknowledge it or not. More backing for my reverse evolution theory.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread