larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
here is sitting bulls great grandson telling the story about 'one bull' who is the pathetic snitch responsible for sitting bulls death
i have a friend James Iron Eyes from Fort Yates who used to work for me. he is a descendant of Sitting Bull and told me the same story
when i was young my Dad and Mom would take me and my brother to see Sitting Bulls Memorial, we have a great respect for sitting bull
Chief Sitting Bull (Tatanka Iyotake) is the great Hunkpapa Lakota Sioux Chief that defeated general george armstrong custer at
the battle of the little big horn (which was really the battle of the 'Greasy Grass')
my opinion of general custer is so low that tnet rules would be violated if i said what i think of his arrogant self

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JustPlainStrange

Feb 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larson, if you get a chance read "the Last Stand". It primarily talks about Sitting Bull, Custer and all of the events leading up to Little Bighorn. I learned a lot about Sitting Bull from it - he was an incredible person.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, where does Crazy Horse fit into this?

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for that clip, Steve.

My disdain for Custer, is only exceeded by that for the agent, and tribal police involved in his assassination.

sbbestportraitSEPIA2.jpg

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Great history Larson.

But humanity must truly be another word for "to conquer" as it has been and still is what we do. All nations, creeds and colors.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
now i want to say when my dad and mom took me to see Sitting Bulls grave it changed locations he was moved by some of his followers
both were between Mobridge, South Dakota (where i was born) and Fort Yates, North Dakota (Standing Rock Sioux Res)
it was in two locations cuz his remains got dug up and got moved.....i grew up with this and have been at both places.. and have seen real indian people coming through our land in south dakota....on horses pulling travois
....in 1957 i said 'grandma, who are those people out by the hill on the horses?
she (mathilda sauer) said 'stevie they come from by the river (missouri) and go east for the winter, they can pass through here and are always welcome' and said 'they are nice people'
i was 6 yrs old then, this is part of how i grew up

Last edited:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya'll took care of ole Custer! Too bad he did not have his friend General Sherman with him that day.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
he (crazy horse) doesn't but he was not involved with ghost dance dancing and was not on the res at fort yates ND
now i want to say when my dad and mom took me to see Sitting Bulls grave it changed
it was in two locations cuz his remains got dug up and got moved.....i grew up with this and have been at both places.. and have seen real indian people coming through our land in south dakota....on horses pulling travois
....in 1957 i said 'grandma, who are those people out by the hill on the horses?
she (mathilda sauer) said 'stevie they come from by the river (missouri) and go east for the winter, they can pass through here and are always welcome' and said 'they are nice people'
this is how i grew up

In our family bible is a story of my great great grandparents who "attended" a loud banging at the back of the house one very cold winter night. It was an old indian woman with a ragged blanket draped over her and flying about in a bitter north wind.
She spoke in broken english "me freez all over".
They gave her leave to warm herself at the cookstove and after a hot meal she left with her blanket all pinned up. Never saying another word.
This was mid 1800 North Iowa. Near the West Fork.

Cool memory of your early days.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
In our family bible is a story of my great great grandparents who "attended" a loud banging at the back of the house one very cold winter night. It was an old indian woman with a ragged blanket draped over her and flying about in a bitter north wind.
She spoke in broken english "me freez all over".
They gave her leave to warm herself at the cookstove and after a hot meal she left with her blanket all pinned up. Never saying another word.
This was mid 1800 North Iowa. Near the West Fork.

Cool memory of your early days.

very nice story
thank you for it

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great history. So many stories gone history lost. Broken past. Thanks Larson.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
these images are from Fort Abraham Lincoln which was initially called Fort McKeen, it is 6 miles south of mandan. ND
some pictures of the 30'X200' barracks where the whole 7th cavalry slept
it had 2 fireplaces and a small wood stove in the center

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

also some pictures of custers house which is about a block west of the barracks
custer and his wife Libby and there servants lived there
it had 12 foot high ceilings and 5 fireplaces
this is where custer drank whiskey and played pool while the soldiers of the 7th cavalry were trying to keep warm

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

Last edited:

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
here is sitting bulls great grandson telling the story about 'one bull' who is the pathetic snitch responsible for sitting bulls death
i have a friend James Iron Eyes from Fort Yates who used to work for me. he is a descendant of Sitting Bull and told me the same story
when i was young my Dad and Mom would take me and my brother to see Sitting Bulls Memorial, we have a great respect for sitting bull
Chief Sitting Bull (Tatanka Iyotake) is the great Hunkpapa Lakota Sioux Chief that defeated general george armstrong custer at
the battle of the little big horn (which was really the battle of the 'Greasy Grass')
my opinion of general custer is so low that tnet rules would be violated if i said what i think of his arrogant self

I was always told it was "Red Cloud" is he the same? Is there a statue of "Crazy Horse" yet? HH Boris 20120511_105739.jpg Is the quartz one bottom middle, a "clovis?"

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Boris,

Sitting Bull and Red Cloud were both great chiefs.

SittingBull.jpg

"The photograph above is of the 1875 delegation to Washington, D.C., taken by Frank F. Currier on May 13, 1875 in Omaha, Nebraska. The delegation was on its way to capital to meet the President to discuss the Black Hills. There are several other images in this series, and the delegation was also photographed in D.C. a short time later.

The people in this image include, standing in back, left to right: 1.) Julius Meyer, proprietor of a store called the Indian Wigwam, which dealt in both Indian and Japanese artifacts; 2.) Red Cloud.
Seated in front, left to right: Sitting Bull the Oglala, 2. Swift Bear and 3.) Spotted Tail. The Oglala Sitting Bull was killed by Crow scouts at Miles' Tongue River cantonment in early 1877 while coming in with a delegation to discuss peace terms." Sitting Bull - Oglala

Red_Cloud3.jpg
Red Cloud
220px-En-chief-sitting-bull.jpg
Sitting Bull​

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Some of these so-called "History Books" make Custer out to be some kind of Wild West hero.

Custer had the "Little-man syndrome," was an exaggerator, a liar, a bragger, and his arrogant ignorance got his dumb ass killed by overwhelming forces. He got his men killed, his scouts, and if the books were written correctly he would be noted as a buffoon that never should have been in command.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
and custer was so greedy and stupid that he thought if he could kill a whole bunch of Sioux he would be able to get elected president
he is a disgrace in my book

the US army corps of engineers has been trying to set the history so it is written correctly for a long time now and get the name little big horn changed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread