Ok big question is HOW? How do i start finding ArrowHeads?

MightyMouse

Sep 6, 2009
Weeki Wachee, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT Pro
I live in probley the best state to be finding ArrowHeads just dont know where to start. Theres a small pond/water hole in the woods behind my house where i was informed by a few teens that they use to find them back there. I live in Weeki Wachee FL and have heard theres a bunch of places/towns that have been inhabited by indian's. Is there away to pinpoint some areas? Maybe a few sites that might let me know key spots to start looking? Or do i grap my hany shovel and hop on my ATV, drive back to the pond and pick a few spots around it and dig? See what come up? Sorta hit and miss, I have dug for bottles before so i know the hit or miss digging and have no problem with that. I was also thinking about building a mini screen sifter to sift through loose dirt. Any and all help as to how i can start trying to find points would be great. Thanks

Upvote 0

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey mightymouse you have a couple options either digging or surface finds.Look at it like this its like a needle in a haystack.First you gotta find the haystack.You can do this by researching your area.How I do it here in maine is with an atlas.I look for where ever streams merge or inlets or outlets of lakes.There are many ways of gathering this info.The method you used sometimes works hearsay.Find your spot and look for debitage.(chips).This will put you in an area where they were making stuff.But to each his own.anyways goodluck and enjoy.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I agree; you gotta look where they are.

Diggin's lots of work. I never do that. I've never found points in a concentrated area, save one where the guy chipped one out, just chips but way cool.

You will find one outside there occasionally, but where they lived is the best odds.

You'll need sharp eyes, and you won't see all the arrowhead most of the time, so pattern recognition is a big part of your success. That comes from learning and experience.

New soil disturbance after a rain, bare soil. I've heard that stream bottoms are good in Florida, but there's always the gator thing, not to mention your lovely collection of snakes, so you're on your own there. Don't forget a machete.

Get savvy with maps. Research old records.

HH!

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I live in probley the best state to be finding ArrowHeads just dont know where to start. Theres a small pond/water hole in the woods behind my house where i was informed by a few teens that they use to find them back there. I live in Weeki Wachee FL and have heard theres a bunch of places/towns that have been inhabited by indian's. Is there away to pinpoint some areas? Maybe a few sites that might let me know key spots to start looking? Or do i grap my hany shovel and hop on my ATV, drive back to the pond and pick a few spots around it and dig? See what come up? Sorta hit and miss, I have dug for bottles before so i know the hit or miss digging and have no problem with that. I was also thinking about building a mini screen sifter to sift through loose dirt. Any and all help as to how i can start trying to find points would be great. Thanks
After heavy rain cornfields and beaches display interesting finds to look at! 20120511_105739.jpg HH Boris

keepsake

Mar 29, 2009
east central Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Bum Luck- sharp eyes and pattern recognition- you need to know what a worked stone looks like- I've had points where less than 1/4" of the point was sticking out of the soil (and not an obvious tip or base), I was surprised to pull out a full arrowhead! I thought I would have been picking up a percussion flake. Maybe that's why I look at every worked piece I find.

lightman

May 23, 2010
england, ar
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not sure how to start in Florida, but where I am at you look for higher ground near older bodies of water. Sandy ridges or small hills near water. Intersections where streams come together, or join rivers. Old lakes are good. Look for debitage or chips, or rocks that are not native to your area. Ask any farmers or ranchers that you know. Seek out other hunters, a Mentor would be great to have. Always seek permission! Asking makes you look responsible where getting caught without permission makes you look bad. Finding a spot gives me a rush, knowing that my knowledge and skill located that spot. Good Luck, Lightman

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in probley the best state to be finding ArrowHeads just dont know where to start. Theres a small pond/water hole in the woods behind my house where i was informed by a few teens that they use to find them back there.

I would start right there. If it's your property, get out there and start looking. Walk around the pond, kick the dirt a bit and see what you see. Villages and camp sites were always near fresh water. Build a screen and dig some holes in the area and see if you start finding chips of stone or any other signs of habitation. If you do, keep at it until you find a nice artifact. Don't give up if you don't find anything great at first. If arrowheads have been found on the surface out there, there are certainly more to be found. I found a great point yesterday walking around a pond that people have been hunting forever.

Like others have said, it would be great to talk with someone who has been hunting in your area for a while. As long as you're willing to put in the time. once you know what you're looking for, you'll start to find them. Good luck.

If the property is not yours, get permission. If it is state or federal land, you're out of luck and will have to find somewhere else to hunt.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good advice.

Let me add: Your local or county museum may have a collection, or there may even be one in your barber shop. Seek them out so you know what you may find. That will help the patterns you must fit into your brain; color, shape, material, topographic hints, everything goes into your "computer".

Read about ancient climate change in your area, and learn how to "see" back in time.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you figure out what to look for and why you will start seeing many places. Like any hobby make sure you know your laws on collecting. Be safe and find a bunch.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was you I would start by lithic research. That's the key! Recognition comes after you learn that. Most artifacts are made of imported lithics so learning the lithics used will greatly increase your chances as the stone used will mostly be different from the local stones. Once you know these lithic types you will be able to spot them out of all the native stone............GTP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread