Question on the long flake scar that resembles a flute

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Question on the long flake scar that resembles a 'flute'

Question on the long flake scar that resembles a 'flute'. I haven't seen any of these long flake scars running to/through the base/stem. It suggested to me that they were common (?), and it might have been the first part of the knapping - but it looks to me like the last part ? (I had posted this point a couple of weeks ago Couple of Jaspers )

Attachments

• DSCF0003 cropped.jpg
    DSCF0003 cropped.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF0003 cropped.jpg 2.jpg
    DSCF0003 cropped.jpg 2.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it was the first part and utilized when it was being reduced in size for a finer point. The termination ridge created a stop point during the edge flaking. That is a nice point...... Thanks for showing it.............GTP

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I agree w/ GTP in thinking it's the original flake surface once it was driven off the core.

Nice find Rich.

OP
OP
scepter1

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks Joe. I think that I "saved" this one. I found it on a beach that has ATV's running on it at low tide to work their shellfish operation, and not an hour later an ATV ran right over this spot ! The Couple of Jaspers post shows the insitu photo where it was sitting on a 'cemented layer' of gravel that is coming apart. The cemented layer that I found it on is a couple inches thick, with another layer of beach gravel below that. I think that this point is such great shape (for being on an active beach) is because it was being protected by either being inside the cemented layer, or below it.

Last edited:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Rich - the fact that you're finding anything at all out there still blows my mind. Keep it up, I love seeing the pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread