Found in Natchez MS. A possible Durant? Fluted?

nettles2008

Mar 11, 2013
image-2401540611.jpg

Attachments

• image-1370764019.jpg
    image-1370764019.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made from a flake it looks. Probably not fluted unless you can get a better pic of the flat side.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Neetles - I'm thrilled to see you post this point. First, it's not fluted, it's largely uniface made from a flake with only the edge worked on the one side. Second, I have (had I guess) a site in western Kentucky where I found quite a few of these, same workmanship, same style, same material. It's the single best site I've ever hunted. I hit it hard for ~3 years and ended up with over 100 whole artifacts. It was a multi-component site from Dalton through Madison, uninterrupted. I love the red/pink/orange material. Never was quite sure what it was, maybe heat treated Ft Payne, maybe heat treated Warsaw (Dover), maybe Crowley's Ridge, maybe a Jasper. Either way, to the best of my knowledge they're a late Woodland point possibly overlapping on the front end into middle Woodland. This brings back memories. The only point I've ever damaged was nearly identical to the one you posted. I dropped it in a parking lot when showing a budding and it broke in half. I never could find the tip. You'd think a bright red triangle would be easy to find in an asphalt parking lot but after 30 minutes I learned that's not always the case.

Sorry for derailing the thread but this point reminds me of the pinnacle of my rock hunting career. Thanks for the look.

Joe

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I agree with twitch.

Not fluted, just where the piece came off the core. You can see evidence of the strike that removed it at the base of the point.

Joel

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread