Obsidian found in NC. Call me a fool!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Today I was able to hit a strange field for awhile. I passed it with no intention of hunting. A mile later, I pulled a U. This field had more odd stones than any other I had seen. Stuff that just isn't normal. I actually found obsidian!!

image-2201936408.jpg

image-1029738101.jpg

It's unworked, but must trace back to native trade. Also a couple broken points.

image-112731053.jpg

image-1987065441.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Awesome! I think you deserve the 500 points you gave me plus 500 more! So Obsidian is not a native stone to NC?

No mam. Obsidian can only be found in two states on the east coast. Pennsylvania and Virginia. I'm dead on the VA. line. Obsidian is a natural glass formed when volcanic magma (think magma is correct) cools faster than normal. VA. Has two volcanoes that are dormant. I hope they aren't waking. Last summer, we had a small earth quake. The VA. Volcanoes were never mentioned, but who knows? Most have no clue that they exist. 200 points, just because I like you. Nice post!

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was that the earthquake that cracked some buildings in Washington DC? If it's the same one we felt the aftershocks at work...at that time I worked on the 3rd floor...was sitting yoga style at my desk and it felt like I was riding a wave...really strange. Hoping those volcanoes stay dormant too.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Was that the earthquake that cracked some buildings in Washington DC? If it's the same one we felt the aftershocks at work...at that time I worked on the 3rd floor...was sitting yoga style at my desk and it felt like I was riding a wave...really strange. Hoping those volcanoes stay dormant too.

That was the one. I was working on a Hugh machine that is made of solid stainless. Highest grade 1 inch stainless steel. It shook the machine. Freaked me out pretty bad.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't surprise me, I once found Novaculite. I know the Indians traded lithics. Gets us thinkin' :icon_scratch:

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
see if a light will shine through it

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Now alls you have to do is find the point they made from it.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
see if a light will shine through it

It's too thick. It is a block, and has no taper or thin part. Instead if translucency, it has more of the reflective properties of obsidian. I'm sure light would pass through it, if I knocked it in half diagonally. I may do that, since it has no artifact value, that I can tell.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Nice find. Now alls you have to do is find the point they made from it.

Lol! Rock, you sure that's not supposed to be flip flopped? Try to find a point made of this? Lol! Crazy rascal! Rascal... Don't think that's censored do you? Lol

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Sorry to be that guy but it looks like a chunk of slag ( glass ) imo.

black slag - Google Search

Thirty7, you normally hit the nail on the head, however, with all due respect, I'm certain this time. Slag just doesn't have the gleam. I pulled my geology sample kit out as well. Perfect match! Let me attempt better pics. I think you guys will see. Those were snapped fast.

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
I agree with Thirty7, that's not Obsidian. That's just slag. You can knap slag just like flint. I've have a few made from slag my dad made.

Hippy

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I agree with Thirty7, that's not Obsidian. That's just slag. You can knap slag just like flint. I've have a few made from slag my dad made.

Hippy

This piece is not worked at all. Just a solid slab. That's why it's so remarkable. I'm an old country Mofro. I know slag, when I see slag. Slag stays where slag belongs, on the ground. This piece, I'm not asking about. I'm sharing with every one Obsidian in its raw form, found in NC. Not to be rude, either. If I'm wrong, please prove me so, and I'll gladly accept that. Post slag pics.

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
This piece is not worked at all. Just a solid slab. That's why it's so remarkable. I'm an old country Mofro. I know slag, when I see slag. Slag stays where slag belongs, on the ground. This piece, I'm not asking about. I'm sharing with every one Obsidian in its raw form, found in NC. Not to be rude, either. If I'm wrong, please prove me so, and I'll gladly accept that. Post slag pics.

I can see that it's not worked which is all the more reason to believe it's just foundry slag. You've made up your mind already so I'm not going to continue to argue. However, I have added a link with a piece of foundry slag that a guy made into a point. I'm not close to home for a while so I dont have any pictures. However, we have islands in the Mississippi that are absolutely loaded with slag that looks exactly like the piece you have.

obsidian in wv in Flintknapping - General Discussion Forum

Hippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread