Need some imput...

award11

Apr 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all I would like to say how thrilled I am to have found this site ! I feel like I should be paying someone for all the wealth of info submitted here ! I look forward to reading and sharing related stories with u all. Secondly, I have a question about a location I've hunted. I'm a novice hunter. I've never done anything other than field hunting in the past but this place I hunted today has so many posibilities, I don't know where I should begin. I'm going to describe my scenario and let you guys tell me what you think would be the best hunting. My 10 yr old son has been going with me but if I don't finding some points he's going think this is for the birds ! And this is something I would love to see him enjoy. Okay... I'm standing at the intersection on 2 creeks. ( In G-i-L-E-s County TN, ) southern middle.... One creek is of good size. 25+ ft across and waist deep in areas but average depth is maybe a foot or so deep, lots of sand and gravel bars. A smaller creek of 8 - 10 ft wide, 10 inches deep. The smaller creek runs into the bigger. I'm standing at the mouth. Behind me 300 acres of bottomland. All of about the same level/grade. Flat as a pancake. Behind me in the distance, a wooded ridge, 600 yards away. In front of me and overlooking the mouth of said creeks, is a steep embankment, but not straight up. Not a bluff... A steep steep tall hill that's elevation is about 1000 feet above sea level. From the top, u can see all the bottom lands.... and both creeks. At the top are huge bolders and mini bluffs. I have walked around up there several times but havent found anything but never haave really hunted it. This ridge runs for over a mile, overlooking this creek.... My grandfather is 94. They found a lot of arrowheads and tools pottery in the bottoms when plowing 50-75 years ago. They've ran several people off the land trying to find stuff. I've found a few points in the bottoms years ago but for the last ten years its been no till corn. Creek hunting has been VERY unproductive. 8 trips, NOTHING.... What would some of you more experienced hunters suggest so I can get this boy to findin some stuff before he folds up like a case knife on me! Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated ! Andy

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WellI have deer hunted in Giles at a deer a day and it was probably somewhere on that same creek. The area you are talking about by the creek is by the site I am sure. I am thinking that in summer when water gets low (if that ever happens this year). I would rake the gravel bars looking for flint and pottery and maybe some old white periwinkle shells and look on the sides of the banks off the fields where things were found. If there is a spring concentrate there and also where the 2 creeks intersect. Funny how one creek will taste better than others due to minerals. The stuff is there. Do they do a light till to aerate every three years? Most farmers do to fluff the soil. Lots of nice artifacts over there. A guy named Jeff has a business in town with a really good looking creek that I saw flint in but did not have time to hunt . Pm me and I will tell you how to contact him.
Thanks for the kind words on the site. You can always become a Charter member to show your support but we do not push it on anyone. Andy welcome to Artifacts and these guys can really help you out. Best wishes in all your hunts.
TnMtns

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you have a good idea as to where to hunt the area since you have tried the bluff, the creeks, and the field. Since the field is no till you may not have much luck there now, but if they do ever turn it again I'm sure some things will show up. I would focus on the creeks and hunt them slowly and thoroughly. I'm sure there are artifacts in the creeks if there were pieces found in the fields by your grandfather.

Also, I know it's not the same as finding them, but if you would allow it I would be happy to send your son some pieces for him to study so he would know what to look for. Just PM me his name and address and I'll put him a package together and mail it out to him. Maybe that would help peak his interest.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
I ntoiced this is your very first post - so, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Tennessee for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
A

award11

Apr 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys... TNMOUNTAINS @The Grim Reaper ~ I doubt this is the same area and probably not the same creek. My grandfather never let anyone hunt with the exception on my dad and I. That applied to relics, deer, quail, rabbit, anything ! He used to have people beg him, telling him everything you can imagine to try to convince him to let them hunt. " Them deer need thinning out", It'll make the herd stronger and healthier, they're gonna inbreed !" etc etc... Same was true with the loggers in the area, "Let us cut some logs, their just falling and rotting and ruining, you may as well get the money out of em before they die!" But he never wavered. He told em the birds and squirrels needed somewhere to nest... lol - Anyway, I think I know Jeff, I'll PM you and we can talk.@TGR- Actually the only times I have been up on the ridge is when I was deer hunting.... or huntin other game.I've neverwent up there lookin for relics just simply looked when I was already up there. I'm about to go here in a few minutes and see what I can find. Do you think this is the most likely spot ? I'm excited about trying, I will let ya'll know what I found if anything. I found several pieces of white pottery in the gracel bar yesterday but it wasn't that old. It looked like pieces of what we've always called milk glass. There are several old springs but not right on top of said ridge, they are on over the ridge on the opposite side of the ridge ? Okay, I'm bout to go see what I can find. Absolutely beautiful day out there today ! I'll be solo today, my boy is with friends today.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Since creek patina makes for hard hunting, try starting the kid out in a field near the creek. Field hunting allows a variety of colors. Don't let him get stuck on hunting for specific colors, that is a bad habit.( one I'm trying to break myself) once he finds a few in the fields, he will get an idea of flaking along with the geology that goes along with hunting artifacts. I hope this helps you a little. I always fear that I may cause people to take a step backwards. I don't think that will be the case on this one.

OP
OP
A

award11

Apr 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks NC - What about if the fields haven't been plowed ? They're all pretty hard, nobody around here plows anymore. I'm going to try to post some pics of todays finds. I hunted the ridge overlooking the 2 creeks yesterday but didn't find anything much. Today I hunted another small creek bed and along the field edge. View attachment 774174 One arrowhead, one tooth or talon ? The other little piece of bone was very closeby the tooth. Sorry but I could not get a close up with the lens I had. The longer piece of bone looks like its been carved but I douby u can see it in this pic. I will try to get a better pic later. The other round thing is what what her grandfather calls a moon rock. It looks just like a little civil war cannon ball and is about as heavy too... but its not. Magnets won't stick to em. I've found about ten around here all together.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds. Back track the creek these probably washed down from upstream. Doent show much patina on the flint so it hasnt been in the water long so the site should be close. The round stone ball looks like a game stone. Too small to be a hammer stone I do believe. Id like to see all of them together on a different thread if you dont mind. Post it as....Game balls? and we will see what everyone says on them.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That moon ball is probably a chert spall. Crack it open and it will have flint inside. I would be metal detecting the areas as well. We used to see a lot of old home places over there. The creeks are the way to go for sure. Keep us posted on your progress it looks like you are finding worked material. Glad your Grandpa kept the land virgin. Everyone and everything needs a place like that to rest :thumbsup: Lots of fun history in Giles.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GR is right about the bones..the gnawed bone appears to be bird...Mabey Crane or herron..something like that.

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Award11, I tried to send you a PM but it said you weren't accepting any at this time. I mailed out the package for your son on Monday, April 29th so it should be there in a couple of days. I put in some decent field grade Points, some small Knives, some Preforms, some Scrapers, a Flint Celt and a Stone Celt, a piece of Ohio Pipestone, and a bunch of fossils. Almost all of them are personal finds and from Scioto county, Ohio except for the Stone Celt and a couple of the Preforms which were a gift and are from Adams county, Ohio and the Fossils which are from a roadcut in Mason county, Kentucky. I hope he likes them and if you have any questions about anything just PM me or post some pics here and I will answer them.

Sorry it yook so lone to get them to him but my computer fried and I couldn't get to the address you sent and then I hurt my back at work and was down for over a week and couldn't get out much.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After he gets that gift I am sure he wont mind the wait.

Brandiwine

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job grim reaper! I hope your gift inspires this child to be a avid hunter and steward of artifacts. Your gift, Larson's and everyone else's gives me hope in the human race. Karma points for you all!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job grim reaper! I hope your gift inspires this child to be a avid hunter and steward of artifacts. Your gift, Larson's and everyone else's gives me hope in the human race. Karma points for you all!

Thanks Brandiwine. I really enjoy helping out young kids like this with a nice little starter kit to help get them motivated. If we can get them off the couch and away from their IPhones and games and out into nature then it's worth parting with a few of my artifacts. I hope the young man likes what I sent him and it inspires him to go hunting with his father more.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done.. and well put Steve.
These are the future keepers of this land.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show him this whole thread. Bring him into the hunt as a partner. I know, he's only 10, but those kids will surprise you sometimes. Hey, when I was 10, I come up with a theory about relativity, only to have the teacher tell me it had already been figured out a few years before. Involve that young man to a greater degree in the search. Good job, award11, and God bless you, Grim Reaper.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Show him this whole thread. Bring him into the hunt as a partner. I know, he's only 10, but those kids will surprise you sometimes. Hey, when I was 10, I come up with a theory about relativity, only to have the teacher tell me it had already been figured out a few years before. Involve that young man to a greater degree in the search. Good job, award11, and God bless you, Grim Reaper.

Lol! Had you only been a year or so earlier on your theory.

Brandiwine

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. Agree grim. Nature deficit disorder - great book about the state of our youth thanks to technology (ironically...as I type this from my iPhone).

CajunPointHunter

Mar 9, 2013
N.W. Louisiana
I'm standing at the mouth. Behind me 300 acres of bottomland. All of about the same level/grade. Flat as a pancake. Behind me in the distance, a wooded ridge, 600 yards away.

First thing is to always put yourself in thier position where would you want to build your home...I wouldnt want to battle steep embankments or real tall hills just to get a drink, if im on the tallest hill there are no others to break the wind. If I go between the creeks they provide some level of protection on three sides, no one wants to attack from a poor position and crossing a creek is a poor position...yep the wooded ridge 600 yards back is where I'd start!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread