Odd Pentagonal Point

alaldrid

Apr 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if anyone has ever seen a point with a raised section in it like this one. Found on a hill above a river while working, a while ago.

Front Pent.jpg
Side pent.jpg
Side.jpg
Back pent.jpg

Upvote 0

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Looks like a jacks reef with a stack that they couldn't get off. I've had it happen while knapping more than once.

OP
OP
alaldrid

alaldrid

Apr 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a jacks reef with a stack that they couldn't get off. I've had it happen while knapping more than once.

Thanks for the info. I had never seen one like this before.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
alaldrid - welcome to the site. The raised section you're pointing out is often referred to as a 'stack'. It's exactly what bsit said, it's where a handful of flakes have terminated as the knapper what first trying to thin the point and second, probably trying to remove the stack. Some stacks are small and hardly noticeable, some are large, but they're fairly common on points.

Twitch

bristowboy

Feb 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
263382_10150278701828890_2513493_n.jpg Jack's Reef with notches. I would say that's what yours is. My brother found this one last year.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I often find scrapers with "stacks". (Thanks for the new lingo fellas.) I guess it's the same type deal. My interpretation of these have always been cores that were still of some use, as long as the person working the piece was careful not to reduce too much from the remaining lithic. I may be wrong, or possibly have two situations mixed up. Either way, they are great finds.

OP
OP
alaldrid

alaldrid

Apr 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the help and info. I had never seen one like that before.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent seen one like it either before and that is why I waited to post for so long on it. Looked interesting. Welcome to the site, rock

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it al Ala point? Jacks reef is right if that is where you are. I have some somewhere and a girl I was hunting with picked up the best one I have ever seen. Nice point even with the stacks.

OP
OP
alaldrid

alaldrid

Apr 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point was found in the southern piedmont of NC next to Rocky river which runs into the Pee Dee River on a well maintained farming road . This is the only point I have like this. I think in NC it is called a Pee Dee point but Jacks Reef elsewhere. Thanks everyone for all of the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread