Knapping tool?

darthoblio

Jun 19, 2010
This is a small tool I found while hiking in San Diego County a couple years ago. At first I thought it was some kind of hafted tool, but it seems to small. It's just a couple inches in diameter. I don't think it's a net weight; I found it many miles from water. I'm guessing it's a knapping tool. It fits the hand perfectly. Anyone have any ideas?

P4250060.JPG P4250062.JPG P4250063.JPG

Upvote 0

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
It could still be a net weight..I live pretty far from water as well and find'em a lot.I dont think it was for knapping,I knapp all the time and I dont think it would hold up.JMO....What ever it is they went through a lot of trouble to make it.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It shows no sings of ever being used as a knapping tool.
Fitting in the hand doesn't make any stone a tool or artifact... if its not natural it fits the bill for being a net weight.
Just my two cents.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When people think of net weights they think water like a cast net. Well allot of net weights were used on birds and small animals on dry land. Looks to be quartz.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once and for all, 'fits the hand perfectly' needs to be banned from any of us using in this forum. I'm not familiar with the cultures that used them, but net weight crossed my mind. Maybe bolo weight? That's not typical of knapping tools I'm familiar with. Hammer stones were just big rocks and the finer work was done with bone or antler. Good eye on your part to spot that find.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once and for all, 'fits the hand perfectly' needs to be banned from any of us using in this forum. I'm not familiar with the cultures that used them, but net weight crossed my mind. Maybe bolo weight? That's not typical of knapping tools I'm familiar with. Hammer stones were just big rocks and the finer work was done with bone or antler. Good eye on your part to spot that find.

Do you have an example of a Bolo Weight you can post for us?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a couple styles of bola stones. One looks like an egg with a flat spot or dimple on the small end."top" some look like this.
Some refer to these as sinkers also.

ForumRunner_20130425_202311.png

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks GatorBoy and I meant to type 'bola', not 'bolo', rock. Bolas might have been used way more and in a wider area than we know. I haven't collected any examples, but that could be just because I didn't know to look for them.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I was confused.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks GatorBoy and I meant to type 'bola', not 'bolo', rock. Bolas might have been used way more and in a wider area than we know. I haven't collected any examples, but that could be just because I didn't know to look for them.

Your welcome..

OP
OP
D

darthoblio

Jun 19, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I believe it's granite, though there isn't much of that red granite around San Diego County that I know of. I would love to know more about this piece. As for "fits the hand perfectly," well it does. If not a knapping tool (I've never seen one like it), the only thing that occurs to me is a weight. But it took so much time and trouble to make, would someone have put that much effort into a weight that might be easily lost?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure they would just so the other people in the tribe would know whos net it was. It could also be a preform for something else. Sometimes they started to make something and it didnt work out so they tossed it. I have a strange piece I could post that was worked but never finished and then just tossed. It is a orange piece of quartz which is rare for my area. It would of been a truly great artifact if finished.

Attachments

• 100_3195.JPG
    100_3195.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 70

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking net weight or natural. Nice pics and find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread