Looking for information [3 Different artifacts]

alowry236

Greenie
Apr 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 different artifacts that were found by my Aunts friend when they were younger he found them while digging by a river in Illinois. He kept on to them and left them with my Aunt and she has had them for years and while cleaning through old storeage things I've stumbled upon them and want to know more about what I've found. Each of them weigh a good amount of weight a couple pounds plus. Also I have the top of the other guys head as well. [Pictures are webcam quality, tried to take good angles.]
artifact 1 (1).png artifact 1 (2).png artifact 1 (3).png artifact 1 (4).png artifact 1 (5).png artifact 1 (6).png artifact 1 (7).png Artifact 2 (1).png Artifact 2 (2).png Artifact 2 (3).png Artifact 2 (4).png Artifact 2 (5).png Artifact 2 (6).png Artifact 2 (7).png Artifact 3 (1).png Artifact 3 (2).png Artifact 3 (3).png Artifact 3 (4).png Artifact 3 (5).png Artifact 3 (6).png

Upvote 0

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
A

alowry236

Greenie
Apr 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the top of the ones head, I will post pictures when i get around to it.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
alowery - the Greater St Louis Archeaological Society (GSLAS) may be able to help you as well. I was a member for a couple of years and the folks there are pretty nice and helpful. They meet out in Bridgeton by the St Louis airport. I suspect most people will tell you they're not prehistoric artifacts, just as a warning in case you haven't already experienced it.

Twitch

ldinglehopper

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2013
Lockport IL 60441
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. I am utterly fascinated with your find. I live right by joliet and its cool to think something like that was out there.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder why they dug 7-10 feet down in a riverbed to begin with.
Seems it would have filled with water before that..interesting items.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some actually look African to me.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
This is something I wrote a while ago, this was in Northern Illinois. A true story, and told as how I remember it. They looked similar to the ones in the original post here, but more "oval" with no protruding parts to them.
=============================================================

If I only had a time machine....

Back when I was around 10 years old or so, my cousin Matt and I were at his place for the day. It was a nice summer day and we were out by the pasture, probably making plans to build a fort of some kind. We were sitting by this huge old oak tree that was dying, and we were prying with some sticks into the ground at the base of it.

Out comes this weird little "statue" of some kind, approx. 7 inches tall, with a flat bottom and rounded top - in the image of a person. We were shocked and kept digging. Four more of these come out for a total of five, all made similar but a little different. All were possibly made by the same artisan but of different people. It was just so shocking that we'd happen to pop them out right there, it kind of freaked us out a little. I wanted to bring them back to his house but he didn't want to, he was afraid we'd get into trouble for some reason. I wanted to bring one of them back to ask his dad what he thought, but it was getting late and we reburied them and decided we'd ask another day.

It was all I could think about for days, and the next weekend my mom took me back over there. During that time, Matt's dad had taken a large tractor and graded the area, pushing the large dead trees into a huge pit that was used as a dump. The ground near the oak tree where our statues were, was graded down about four feet. I was very depressed about it. To this day they must still be there somewhere, whether buried 20 feet deep in the dump itself or spread in the surrounding dirt.

I have discussed this with Matt, he remembers "something" about this - but not much. He was around 8 years old at the time, and this was well over 35 years ago.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My neighbor was an art teacher at a middle school and the kids found several statues in a ditch years ago. He was unable to acquire them. Later on a fed ex complex went in right beside there and they found hundreds of Mississipian graves with beautiful offerings. The dozed and covered it up and put the Fed Ex center on top of it. No new info to be learned. They had 2 foot swords buried with high ranking women. Amazing things.
They were becoming more and more like the aztecs and Mayans in the south east with burial mounds and art and sacrifices and glyphs of beheadings. I would not rule out any abstract statue from that era.
The only person I know that might be able to help would have been Jousha Reems as he has studied and handled both cultures.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
The remind me of some Hopewell stuff I've seen. Also two of them look to have the side profile of a male apendage. How weird is that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread