Nutting Stone? Can I get your help on this one?

jeramme

Nov 11, 2010
MN

Attachments

• Nutting Stone Cover.jpg
    Nutting Stone Cover.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 774
  • Nutting Stone1.jpg
    Nutting Stone1.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Nutting Stone 2.jpg
    Nutting Stone 2.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 197
  • Nutting Stone Back.jpg
    Nutting Stone Back.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be natural.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Is the bottom of the hole polished smooth? I have lots of stones with holes very similar that are natural.

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Could be a "nutter" or one of many other tools or could be natural. I have almost the exact same one and I consider it to be natural but I also kept it because it was found in a known campsite. I assume they used it.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
...and I think that is key too...I would have used it if I had found it too....
Could be a "nutter" or one of many other tools or could be natural. I have almost the exact same one and I consider it to be natural but I also kept it because it was found in a known campsite. I assume they used it.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Seems to me like visible wear along the top edge of the cupped out spot. I'm not thinking natural. Is it as small as the fire puck or palm protector?

OP
OP
J

jeramme

Nov 11, 2010
MN
Thanks for your input all...I thought maybe it was worked because it does fit nicely in the hand...and everything seems too consistently rounded including around the indention to be natural...but my knowledge is a candle beside the sun round here :)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be natural, but yeah I would have picked it up. I would have wanted a large heavy flat stone anchor as a base for cracking walnuts or hickory nuts. I can break nuts on a flat stone pretty easy without meticulously carved depressions to hold the nut shell, but spending several hours grinding out formed depressions to hold the nutshells would add a certain feng shui to the campsite. Sorry to sound facetious, but I have started to question the designation 'nutting stone'. Is there some documentation for this type of artifact or just an archaeologist's guess?

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Is the bottom of the hole polished smooth?

Never mind, after zooming in, it appears to be very coarse, and not very concave. I'm gonna say natural, but thats not saying it wasn't put to use.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread