Rocks with holes.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
We sure get a lot of people that post rocks with holes in or through them that resemble artifacts. I thought I'd post a few of the rocks I've drug home. DSCN3324.JPG DSCN3325.JPG DSCN3326.JPG DSCN3323.JPG
First pic top is an artifact, the rest are all natural. Of the natural ones, 2 are deep and hollow enough they could have been used for small storage, seeds or somethings small. Second pic lower right piece looks like natural hole possible being modified. Others may have had some use, but there is nothing man-made about them apparent to me. The three in the last pic are the only ones that have made it into the big case. Now THEY show some sign of use.

These are all just my opinion on these stones, and everyone is entitled to post their stones and opinions here too.

Upvote 0

kevin hoffman

Sep 7, 2012
cambridge md
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have seen these too , and they all seem to be around known N.A. sites, the ones I have seen the rock is so hard it almost had to be intentionally done ,I will watch and see what others say

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are all nice finds Quito, I would bring them home...very grey area with these for sure...
Just don't want to discourage anyone from posting anything, including geofacts.....
Take care!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never found one with a hole in it like those. It would probably fool me if I had found one. So what cause the hole in the natural ones to form?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
very nice post....how about some close ups on wear vrs. no alteration.....

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
very nice post....how about some close ups on wear vrs. no alteration.....

I think when you click on the photo a couple times you can get all the magnification you could need. Even zoom to the spot. At least it works for me. Note the high polish in the paint pot and cap stone last pic.

here's another one DSCN3315.JPG

Last edited:

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of those rocks are called omars.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Cool. We are at the edge of the last glacial push here. That explains a lot. I think I will have to start picking them all up now.

Last edited:

NorCal Gal

Jan 15, 2011
Northern California
I have found many stone that look like this near a little "off the grid" berg named "Bolinas" in nearby Marin County, CA. I was able to determine what caused these holes because rocks lying right next to them still held the "secrets" within them: Shells from the "Cambrian" geologic era encased within the sandstone that later were "washed out" by waves and constant rolling around in the sand. I would look for mention of Cambrian era sandstone beds or cliffs nearby in the same area...

Native Americans were always taking whatever characteristics the natural objects they found around them had and then capitalizing or enlarging/refining these characteristics to fit their own needs. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that they might have taken stones with naturally occurring holes in them like this and then used them with small "pestles" to grind herbs for medicinal or culinary uses.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Quito, I would have brought those in also. I have the feeling you knew that already. Lol! If you don't mind my asking, what type of landscape or setting are most of these found? Near or in water? In sandy areas, grassy areas? The question at large is what in nature causes such uniformed concavity on one face of a stone? Cool post!

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I've found all of mine in plowed fields
Omarolluks is what the tech term for thin is. Google them and you will probly find all you'd like to know.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
i have seen these too , and they all seem to be around known N.A. sites, the ones I have seen the rock is so hard it almost had to be intentionally done ,I will watch and see what others say

YUP, and that is where I have found all of mine. BUT,,,,,,,,,,,

Glaciers
moved omars from the southeastern part of Hudson Bay to central Canada and into the U.S. where they were deposited on moraines. Because scientists know precisely where they came from they are very valuable in documenting the movement of glaciers.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP]

If we find this many on NA sites, just think how many are out there in total.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Quito, I haven't had time to read your links. Maybe you can answer this for me. Are those natural medate looking stones found in all states? I've never found one here. ( sorry, I forgot the proper name for these stones)

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Quito, I haven't had time to read your links. Maybe you can answer this for me. Are those natural medate looking stones found in all states? I've never found one here. ( sorry, I forgot the proper name for these stones)

From what I've gathered, they can be found where ever you find glacial deposits.

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most recent spotting:

IMG_0458.jpg

dunno what its case is, tho a satisfying fit!

IMG_0509.jpg

and a peculiar omar amongst the locals:

DSC00714.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions