Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you guys might enjoy reading this if you have not already. I found it interesting because the cultures in this area were starting rituals similar to the Maya in mound building. They built large temple mounds and serpent mounds and of course there is the Kolomoki mounds. We had mounds here that were so large that during the civil war they mounted cannons to the top of them. Here is the read about the symbols on the swift creek pottery.

Mayan glyphs discovered on pottery in Georgia, Florida and Alabama - Jacksonville Road Trip Travel | Examiner.com

The video in it is kinda cheesy but I was thinking I had seen some of those designs in what I find. Here is a piece of pottery I have that is similar. In my area Lewis and Kneberg called it the Dallas era (late Mississipian).

100_4304.JPG

Here they were also creating elaborate designs out of copper. Here is a restored piece from a book I have showing Mayan characteristics. Notice the head held in hand. We know they were creating new gods and starting to perform human sacrifices. Sound Mayan ?

100_4306.JPG

Here below is a Mayan pot I have. ex hampton,ex stroud, I just liked the photography and never realized till we shot it that it had old red and blue paint pigments in it. It was recovered supposedly during the construction of the Panama Canal.

R_1963.jpeg

I think the article is reaching but when you put all the facts together it does look like possible contact was made somehow between these cultures or maybe it was just evolution.
HH
TnMtns

Upvote 0

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TN,
Very interesting...
BCI

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I believe it is possible. I have seen some of the mounds in my area. Actually stood on a few of them. I wonder how they dug all of that clay and then carried it up to make a mound. The clay/ dirt here in the summer is hard as heck.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
regardless of what anyone says....regardless of any excavated "evidence"...regardless of anyone's opinion.....

it is an undisputed FACT that corn (read, MAIZE)...came from mesoamerica and was widely cultivated in what is now the U.S.of A......are you reallllllllly gonna tell me that THAT is the ONLY thing we got from there????????

I mean common guys....my car comes from Japan, my tv from China, my clothes come from all over Asia and I am drinking Jamaican rum mixed with Mexican coke.....trade and proximity affect culture.....end of story.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now this is an interesting thread..
Thanks TN.
I've seen some very compelling evidence of exactly this topic on JSTOR.
I've heard the maze explained with migrating birds..but there is quite a bit of very interesting evidence to support at very least a close look.

rush2112

Greenie
Dec 3, 2010
Houston
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure there had to be some connection with the Mississippian Culture. Not only Kolomoki, look at some of the incredible artifacts found at Moundville. The disc designs and shell carvings could be thought of as Mayan influenced. I had the opportunity to see some of the special collections there at Moundville, and the large number of ear-spools found were also common in Mayan culture.

Another interesting find; I knew a gentleman in the Florida panhandle that properly excavated/documented a small site where he found a mortar made of vesicular basalt. I was stunned when I saw it. No basalt in Florida! Never seemed to be much interest in the site from the area universities. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree and I have seen a strand of gold beads from Ga. The designs on some of the gorgets also look Mayan influenced. I feel that there was trade and technology and beliefs being passed around. I am unsure why this is never brought into question though. Here are those beads.

100_1418.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are those beads real gold?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple Mayan artifacts and a few Florida artifacts in my hand.

1_73c8a08bf44ac9777a150306098edc9a.jpeg

ForumRunner_20130506_222758.png

ForumRunner_20130506_222936.png

ForumRunner_20130506_223247.png

ForumRunner_20130506_223429.png

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
add to that the whole idea of a "mound"....raised platform for rituals....hmmm, now where have I seen THAT before???

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with UNCLEMAC...I find that contact did happen. My theory is that during the Ice age the ocean was receded quite far exposing much more of the shoreline. That is why fishermen end up with points in there nets sometimes. The gulf of Mexico is really shallow in terms of ocean waters and I feel from Florida to the Caribbean to Mexico was all exposed during the ice age making for easy travel. This is a theory, I think it holds weight though.

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I agree with UNCLEMAC...I find that contact did happen. My theory is that during the Ice age the ocean was receded quite far exposing much more of the shoreline. That is why fishermen end up with points in there nets sometimes. The gulf of Mexico is really shallow in terms of ocean waters and I feel from Florida to the Caribbean to Mexico was all exposed during the ice age making for easy travel. This is a theory, I think it holds weight though.

I think (not going to get deep into religion) that the bible actually backs this theory to a degree. Moses!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its pretty well documented that during the last half of the most recent ice age paleo Florida was up to three times larger than today.
There have been projectile points found 110 miles off the west coast of Florida in the Gulf of Mexico.
There are many freshwater springs in the gulf that I would sure love to investigate.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect there is a lot more then that area exposed. Some of the greatest secrets lay on the sea bottom buried. History has yet to be properly documented as new discoveries keep emerging. Until this earth is fully exposed and every inch of it gone over(which of course I hope never happens) civilization will constantly rewrite history.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's basically the continental shelf and almost mirrors the path of the gulf stream.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I suspect there is a lot more then that area exposed. Some of the greatest secrets lay on the sea bottom buried. History has yet to be properly documented as new discoveries keep emerging. Until this earth is fully exposed and every inch of it gone over(which of course I hope never happens) civilization will constantly rewrite history.
you got that right.....this is right up your alley,

In the depths of the Black Sea lies a landscape of eternal darkness. With no light and no oxygen in the sea’s anoxic layer, no life can survive, except perhaps the ghosts of ancient mariners whose ships foundered thousands of years ago.

Archaeologists unearth a graveyard of ancient shipwrecks in the Black Sea | Feature Stories

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
There are a range of artifacts & traditions (Monolithic Axes, shell gorgets, discoidals/ball courts, spuds, ear spools, flat topped mounds, face pots, long bifaces, copper plates, etc.) that show up in the South East US, Caribbean, Northern South America, Central America, Mexico, up through TX into the Mississippi & Ohio river valleys. There is certainly some commonality, and few archaeologists would disagree with that. Alfred Kroeber wrote about it, and called it indirect cultural diffusion.What I think is a mistake, is to say that the Mayans (outside of modern indigenous immigrants from Chiapas, Guatemala, and the Yucatan) made it to Florida, there simply isn´t any evidence of that. Where ever Mayans went, they left a lot of specific traits that are missing in the US. Again, that´s not to say there wasn´t influence, but it could have been reverse. Poverty Point could have influenced the early Mayans, vs the other way around.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
every island in the Caribbean was populate pre-Columbus. Florida points down to Cuba like a bird dog on a scent and Cuba points to the Yucatan like my wife pointing out my flaws....Miami to Cancun is closer than Miami to New Orleans. Add to that the growing evidence that the Mayans were a seafairing people....

Google

...and it starts to look rather like Arab Muslims a 1,000 years ago. They spread trade, culture and religion fromMecca to Morocco, down the east coast of Africa, across the Indian ocean to the Philippines and deep into central Asia....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread