Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spike,
I would have to say, wishful thinking, but it is so hard to say without it in my hand...
I love your enthuseasm...
Hopefully more will chime in.
BCI

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What state and where did you find it. That type of thing is needed for a clue on it. Im thinking if it is worked it might be a core. The type of stone is very hard to tell by the pictures. Hoes average 5-6 inches in length and I have seen them go as big as almost 18 inches at artifact shows. I dont believe it is a hoe, sorry

OP
OP
S

Spike

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it in Tuscola county, Michigan. I thought it kind of looked like a what this video calls a "Flint Gauge" at 3:14. But because it's not an obvious artifact on-sight, I wanted to ask before I displayed it in my china cabinet. I am critically inclined so definitely don't want any wishful thinking on display.

I'm not seeing much patina on it which doesn't make a good case.

Thanks!

What state and where did you find it. That type of thing is needed for a clue on it. Im thinking if it is worked it might be a core. The type of stone is very hard to tell by the pictures. Hoes average 5-6 inches in length and I have seen them go as big as almost 18 inches at artifact shows. I dont believe it is a hoe, sorry

Last edited:

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spike,
I have a lot of "wishful thinking" displayed...lol. A lot of artifacts are not obvious, usually they lead to constructive arguements. Its really hard to definitivly tell here from pics., we all keep the questionable objects. Without having it in the hand, knowing context and so on... I say, keep it, display it and enjoy!!
Welcome to Tnet and take everything with a grain of salt...lol.
Thanks for posting,
BCI

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it might be something like that. I dont really find that type of artifacts too often. I have found 1 adze and thats about it. They just didnt use that type around here in Ga at least not in my area of hunting anyway. Good Luck and I hope somebody gives you a answer that is correct, rock

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it does look like a broken adze. The mateiial is slate and is used widely for many types of tools and adornments.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Spike - I believe it's modified by man and an artifact. I'd guess it's not a how, maybe a chopper, maybe a discard, maybe a something else, but certainly an artifact.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I'd say large scraper or possibly chopper. It appears to have been resharpened in the same fashion a smaller scraper would have been. Not doubt it has been worked.

OP
OP
S

Spike

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All great advice, and I think I will definitely hang on to it. I think I'm gonna look into how slate ages / patinas etc and do some comparisons. I'm finding alot of stuff that is in the "Maybe" category, so I think I'll divide my displays into Definites, and Maybes, with the maybes always being a good research project for rainy days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread