bar amulet 009.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 423
Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job.do what you want too with it,you can always undo it.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Not sure what you gotta find to get a banner.

It's banner brother. It's banner. Just as many of the great musicians never get Grammys, many great finds do not make banner. What is banner? The Van Morrison of artifact hunting would probably resent being on the list. (Not downing the guys on there, it is an honor) However, a great find is a great find. I'll not forget this piece, nor it's story, and have never laid eyes on more than a picture of it.

ks_hunter

Feb 24, 2008
Wichita, KS Area
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Tesoro Tejon & 2 Banditos, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer Jonzer...! and yes I am not sure what it is also but it looks unique.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jonzer

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woo Hoo! Thanks for the votes. I feel that I am in a unique and awesome group of treasure hunters!! I love TNet!!!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
For the uninitiated, could you explain a bit more about what a Bar Amulet is, and why it is so rare?

Unless I missed it we never got an answer to your question. I too would love to get an education on this piece and have a better understanding of why everyone is so excited about it.

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very neat find, thanks for the link .
it seems no one knows for sure what they were used for just speculations of the flat/concave bottom meaning they were attached to flat items like pipes /canoe prows or wore as jewelry , and that they were made around 2,500 years ago and older.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few of us who have no Idea what this artifact is - I've seen a couple of appeals for information in the three pages of praise , I now add my voice to those prior appeals . What is a bar amulet , and if they are "mega rare " how is it that fifty responders (a couple of us excluded ) know all about these and are all over this find immediatetly ???

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few of us who have no Idea what this artifact is - I've seen a couple of appeals for information in the three pages of praise , I now add my voice to those prior appeals . What is a bar amulet , and if they are "mega rare " how is it that fifty responders (a couple of us excluded ) know all about these and are all over this find immediatetly ???

there was a link posted that explains it the information about this find,, it is limited and not exact .

here it is ...---- > Birdstones Of Eastern United States, Page 1

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From what I gather, it's a very old (roughly 2,500 years or about 500 BCE) Native American artifact that is very rarely found intact - much less commonly with detailed anatomy. Not much is known, from that article on birdstones I gather that bar amulets are just a low-detail birdstone variety. Logic tells me that they could have been used as toys, jewelry, or ornaments depending on who made it and whether or not holes are present. I also gather that they are more common in the Midwest and around the Great Lakes than anywhere else in the U.S. Materials used depend on the location of the find, which means the local natives would have used whatever they had in abundance around them. That birdstones are not made of wood and only seem to be made of stone (meaning the crafting would have been more difficult and taken much longer) the finished product would have sentimental value.

How about it, people? Am I close, at least? Never seen one of these things before in my life.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because there was not a written language and the items are so very old Archeologist speculate what these rare stone artifacts were. Very few survive after 2500 years. A fluted Clovis or even a gold coin or an 8 reales is a much more common find. What makes it even more unique is that it is a known example or type and not even the "what is it" section would be able to pin a green check on it. It is the type of thing museums and collectors dream of having just one on display.
This one is real and the two parts were found years apart. It is indeed treasure and not something that we get to see found by a member very often.

I found one on e-bay not sure if it is real...... But this is what one could expect to pay for an item like this.

Unusual Granite Stone Fluted Bar Amulet Indian Artifact Kentucky KY 5 78" | eBay

Hope this helps. Congratulations Jonzer. Best stone artifact I have seen posted in a long time.

Brandiwine

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's banner brother. It's banner. Just as many of the great musicians never get Grammys, many great finds do not make banner. What is banner? The Van Morrison of artifact hunting would probably resent being on the list. (Not downing the guys on there, it is an honor) However, a great find is a great find. I'll not forget this piece, nor it's story, and have never laid eyes on more than a picture of it.

Nc. Amazing response. And Van Morrison. Van. Van. Van. Amazing Van the amazing man. Love. Him.

P.s. how in the ---- do you vote for banner. They don't make it easy.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Nc. Amazing response. And Van Morrison. Van. Van. Van. Amazing Van the amazing man. Love. Him.

P.s. how in the ---- do you vote for banner. They don't make it easy.

Thanks Brandi! To vote banner, you can't use your cell phone app, if that's what you use. That's what I use. You must go in through google or a search engine of your choice and just play around clicking from there. I plan on voting tonight. I'll walk you through the step after I do it. It takes me figuring it out every time I vote.

PS: Van is tha man!!!

Brandiwine

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Brandi! To vote banner, you can't use your cell phone app, if that's what you use. That's what I use. You must go in through google or a search engine of your choice and just play around clicking from there. I plan on voting tonight. I'll walk you through the step after I do it. It takes me figuring it out every time I vote.

PS: Van is tha man!!!

Thanks NC. I was wondering why I couldn't figure it out. I would say I was pretty savvy in the tech world....but the fact that I didn't guess it was app related blows that statement out of the water. Especially since I spent yesterday trying to find an answer why a program wasn't working on our mobile site only to find out the different platforms won't work together.

I'll log in from the pc tonight and vote banner as the story alone deems it worthy to me. Getting to research and find out about amulets, bird stones and more gives me more reasons.

Thanks again!

P.S. I like PS's if you can't tell

P.S.S. I turned on Van as soon as I finished posting earlier. While it may have looked like I was coaching softball...my ear phones were blasting Moondance, Gloria and basically the entire greatest hits album. Love that man. (And yes I'm going to grow up and stop with the p.s. crap now before I start thanking you for being my forum BFF)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good up top.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions