Hardaway-Dalton?

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out hunting after work today. Found the nice little Rossville on the right and then a type that I hadn't found before. The tip is broken but it's still a pretty cool point. Looking in Boudreau's "A New England Typology.." it appears closest to a Hardaway-Dalton. Any thoughts? Found near the coast in Massachusetts.

IMG_5195.JPG IMG_5196.JPG
IMG_5198.JPG IMG_5199.JPG

Upvote 0

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
If that's ground then I would skip past hardaway ad go right to dalton. I'm not familiar with the point types in your area though.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do believe they are up that way but very rare for the area. Does have the look of one.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As Boudreau states, the Dalton tradition has yet to be demonstrated in New England. Our Hardaway Dalton points bear only a slight resemblance to Hardaway Daltons from their home region well south of New England. The broken triangle Pancake found does resemble what we type as New England Hardaway-Dalton. This quartz triangle was confirmed by Beaudreau as a Hardaway-Dalton, New England variation. Strongly erose, ground base and lower lateral edges, and a very deep concave base.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pancake, these 3 points were confirmed by Beaudreau as New England Hardaway-Daltons.

flute-like basal thinning on the quartz example:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 133
OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still not 100% sure of the type. I need to show it to a few locals who have been at it for much longer than me.

Montgomery

Sep 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pieces and an intriguing puzzle. Sure looks like a Dalton-type point. To me, the basal thinning is especially interesting!

Kindest regards,

Monty

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let us know if you get other opinions, Pancake. I think it is an early triangle. It's difficult to place it anywhere other then the New England variant of Hardaway-Dalton. The base should be ground. Before he passed unexpectedly, Jeff sent me the Hardaway-Dalton page from the expanded, revised edition of his typology, which hasn't been published. As well as a metric comparison between that triangular style and Snappits and Squibnockets. You have a narrow triangle with a markedly concave base. Can't see if it's erose. I have several others as well, from a site that yielded a Hardaway Side Notch. Never had a chance to run those by Jeff, but that's not a Woodland triangle, and the base is too deep for much else other then Hardaway-Dalton.

OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I showed it to a guy I know who has been collecting here for years and he said Hardaway-Dalton the second I handed it to him. I'm going to leave it in my truck as there are a couple guys I know who have been collecting here for 50-60 years and I'll show it to them the next time I run into them.

I would love to read any of the updated edition of his Typology. Do you know if there are any plans to publish it?

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
that is looking like hard to work type material.........
...........and i must say they did a good job with it

larson1951

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions